Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft email access 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCX008

Technical User
Apr 22, 2010
US
Hello,

MS one of the worst .. I tried to access a webmail based email address , however for some reason (heartbleed ??) it asked me to send a security code to my cell phone, but that number is old.

So next step is sending a code to an alternate email address which I did.

Now the wonderful MS system says it will send me the verification within 30days !!!!

Is this true ?? Is it on purpose to frustrate everybody !!

suggestions

I had this and think you are misreading.
if your cell is out of date, that's not there fault.
The sending thing is how long you have to validate and you can click skip.
And nothing to do with heartbleed, MS were never vulnerable, unlike Google and Yahoo.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

CCX:

I am getting the same 30 day nonsense because I forgot my password, and the 30 days is MS' idiotic solution to prevent hacking/fraud. Oh well.

I don't think it's idiotic at all. They need to protect people from others that would otherwise try to hijack mail accounts. This makes someone wait 30 days to access, so it takes some of the immediate gratification (access) out of a crook's arsenal. YOU should have kept your contact information up to date. It's ultimately your fault. How could you not see it that way? Take responsibility.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

goomba:

I respect your logic, it is just that I am a victim of my own carelessness, yes.

But if MS had enough empathy, surely they could come up with a better solution?

If they had more epathy, thus letting the wrong person access your account, might they not end of getting sued for their empathy?? There's always a CYA reason for policies like this. A group of lawyers sat down and decided that 30 days was "reasonable and prudent" enough time such that Microsoft won't get sued.

I DO empathize with your situation, but like 30 days in jail - it's not forever. Long enough, but not forever.

Yup - things could be worse, like actually BEING in jail

I am in one of those '30 days in jail' with one of my M$ accounts.
Yes, they did gave me the opportunity to text me the security code - to my land line phone. :) but I opted for an e-mail to my work account. Did not receive any e-mail from them. Then I did manage to provide another e-mail for my security code, MS did send me one: 4 digits long number. So I did enter those 4 digits just to find: I need 5 digit security code. What? So now I am in 30 days jail because: 1. I don't have a cell phone, 2. I did not get any e-mail to one of my accounts, 3. I cannot guess what and where the missing digit is in the security code MS did send me.

Now, what did I do wrong...?[ponder]

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I got ‘out of jail’ on one of my Hotmail accounts, but the other one: keeps asking me for authorization code, MS keeps sending me 4 digit code, but asks for a looong one, something like XXX-XXXX-XX-XXXX-XX-XXXXX-XX Of course there is no ‘Hotmail help’ anywhere.

Anybody knows how to fix it?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

You're not confusing this windows activation. I'm guessing not, but.....
That doesn't make sense. Screen shot would be nice.

That’s what I think, too. Google Mail. [pc2]
I even wrote a letter to a CEO of Microsoft, send it by US Postal Service (remember this? You use a piece of paper with a text on it and something called an envelope with a stamp in the corner). Now I am waiting for any replay from The Guy. Wish me luck.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Google monitors your every move/search/email so I'm not signing up for that scrutiny. Google is the public/corporate big brother.

goombawaho, not only that. Google also ‘looks’ on what you type even if you ‘delete’ what you just typed. You don’t have to hit ‘Enter’ for Google to ‘see’ what you attempted to search, for example. Spooky... [bat]

Have fun.

---- Andy

I don't know if I believe that. Linky? It would be hard to prove what you DIDN'T type.

the problem here is that there is really no escape unfortunately, back in the days everybody was running for that encrypted software, for the invisible VPN and so on. The reality was revealed with Snowden, people paid a bunch of money for all that software and it was not secure..

The Internet a blessing and a curse ..

WE ARE ALL BEING WATCHED !!

Do you like google? But don't want the NSA or your ISP tracking what you do, just use start page. Link

Yeah, I had heard of that page on ArsTechnica. Seems like Google might want to sue/buy them out. Doesn't work for GMail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back