Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulusdu

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
GB
I'm trying to get Microsoft Backup working on a dell server running Windows 2000 Server SP4 with a DAT DDS4 drive. But i can't get it to recognise any of the tapes.
When i have a tape in the drive, it will not pick it up.
I thought it might be the physical drive but i installed a demo version of Arcserve and it picks the tapes up fine. I can initialise them, backup and restore to them so the hardware is fine.

Any ideas ?

Assuming you are running the MS driver for the device, and it has been recognised both in device manager and in removable storage management (and that the RSM service is running!), then all you should need is to insert the tape. However, if faced with a wall of silence, use the INVENTORY option on the device under the RSM tree.

OR, try right clicking on the drive and choosing inject.
Hey, it's worth a shot.

I have a similar problem. I have to choose restore and run thru all the 'media created..' options to do a restore. But how do I check to see what is on the tape. Cos I have some old tapes which are not labelled and I cant find them in the catalog.

may need to go into RSM and prepare the tapes for them to be available.

Jackofallm: if you catalog the tape it should list its contents, no two ways about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back