Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft access writing new record

Status
Not open for further replies.

bursland

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
GB
I am by no means an expert and I need a reasonably quick fix to a probem I have encountered with a an access database application I have written in VB .There are 2 programs which write to the database .The first writes new records and the second is to close or edit existing records.The problem arose when someone had the 2nd program open to edit an existing record and the first program was opened and a new record created .When the second program was closed the record that had been amended was written back to the database but wrote all of its data to the record that had just been created.Any advice would be really welcome.

Sorry that question wasn't that specific.In answer yes I am using SQL to extract a recordset from the database.This recordset contains records that are able to be edited.That is where the problem occured ,someone was editing a record and a new record was added to the database which when the edited record was saved seemed to mix up the records.I cannot lock the database for new entries whilst editing is taking place as the program that adds these records alerts another dept. in real time that a new entry has taken place.

will add code to thread tomorrow when I return to the office cheers

Figured it out bad coding .Had opened database for edit at two places which was giving these results .
Must try harder
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back