Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Access Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomLon

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
US
I am looking at adding security to my Microsoft Access database. I have a form designed for the sercurity interface. You would select (or add user) with a drop-down combo box. Once the user is selected you would see what the user would be allowed/not allowed to do. This would be done with a list of areas within the database. For instance a portion of the list would include Company Names, COntacts, Notes, Documents, etc. For each record, there would be four corresponding check boxes (read, insert, modify, delete). I would like these checkmarks on this form (and underlying table) to determine if the specifided user could perform certain tasks from specifc areas of the application.

Now, having said this, I would like to do this WITHOUT using the Miscrosoft Access securty workgroup file as this will be a replicatable database, and I really would not like to keep up with this file over the many users that we will have. Any ideas/documents on where to begin?

Thanks

Why do you need to keep the mdw file up to date for each user?
I assume they will each have their own copy of the file. As long as they can use their copy to authenticate they never need an updated mdw file.

If you do not use workgroup security, the application cannot be secured in any real way, as anyone can simply import everything to a new database.

Then I will use and mdw file. Now, would there be any way to maintain the account info of the mdw file from a form within this database. This would be so that I could create custom security features within the database. Or would I have to redundantly add this info into a seperate table? My thoughts would be to add users from within the custom admin interface and not from within the mdw interface.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back