Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microsoft access running on a dba

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLHab3062

Technical User
Dec 28, 2002
US
Hi

I am new to the idea of running microsoft access 2000 databases on a pda. Palm or Windows? I currently have a ~10 meg access file (includes both front end and back end files) that I would like to import/export to a handheld. I am not sure if I need the capability of editing the database on the handheld. I know at this moment I do need to be able to read the data while I am in the field. I know I can update/snyc the pda on a regular basis from the desktop.

Can anyone suggest a pda, how enough memory and what software/os to use. I need to be able to read my reports on the pda screen. Or do I need to create new reports for the pda? Will the new software allow me to create the reports?

I have seen software online but did not feel comfortable with what I was seeing.

I have tried Frys, and Compusa only to be told "I don't know, you can buy this and this and try this."

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Mark,

I'd consider an HP H4150 400Mhz processor, 64 RAM, 32 ROM. Has features that can accept Access apps.

Consider writing a new FE that creates temp tables and loads only data that is needed. Do you need the entire mdb? Can you create temp tables that "roll" according to your needs? For example, why have all 3 years of transactions when you really need the last 2 months? All depends on the application.

I am currently coding a dispatch system for the H4150. I could store the entire 5 years of data but that would take up 60% of the ROM alone! So, I created temp tables on the PDA and then load in only one months worth of transactions. Chances are rare that the dispatcher goes back more than 2 weeks. This cuts down the db size enormously.

The tables are updated either manually or when email is sync'd (user's choice) and data tables are updated within a rolling date/time window.

How's your VBA?

Best of luck,

JohnMc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back