Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Access and Progress 9.1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeHe

Programmer
Mar 16, 2002
CA
We recently moved to a Progress database. The reseller of our software said that we would have no problems using Microsoft Access with Progress.

During the past 2 months I have spent hours on the phone with Merant (Datadirect), Frontstep (software package) and our reseller.

We started with the 3.60 Merant driver. Then we tried the 3.70 driver, and finally we tried using the SeQueLink 4.51 driver.

Not one of these drivers gave us a stable ODBC connection. Gradually I'm discovering the cause of many of our problems, but even with work arounds, it's unbearable!

Problems we've had so far:

- Test passes for the driver, but when linking to data using Access, tables show blanks, #name?, deleted, etc.

- Only have the data comes in and then Access blows up.

- Unable to open any linked table that has values higher than the field definition.

- Odd characters showing up in field names: With the 3.60 driver we may see { }'s around the name, but with Sequelink we see double underscores in the name.

The last thing I tried as a last ditch attempt was to connect to the data using Visual C++ 6.0 and an OLE DB provider for ODBC (connecting to the 3.60 driver). It works great! I can even open tables that have values higher than the should be.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do the same thing in Access. The data links window only shows OLE DB provider for SQL and OLE DB provider for Jet 4.0.

We are using Microsoft Access XP, Progress 9.1c, and systems ranging from Windows 98se to Windows XP.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm still amazed that none of the companies contacted had useful advice for us!

NeHe,

I spent about two months trying to configure the Merant ODBC drivers and to be honest, it was painful.

I switched to Openlink and it works wonderfully.

Access, apparently does have some limitations, but we were able to get it link to our Unix Progress database tables without problems.

Nickd

Would LOVE to hear more about OpenLink... Right now we are testing the new 4.1 ODBC driver. It's just as bad as the others. We have managed to get a working connection to a few of the previously unopenable tables by using an OLE DB for ODBC connection in Access VB... It takes about 10 minutes to pull in 46,000 records :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back