Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Access and Outlook refrences versions 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peekay

Programmer
Oct 11, 1999
ZA
I received a VB project from someone who used version 9 of the Microsoft Access and Outlook references and my Visual studio 6 only has versions 8.
Can somebody please advise from which angle I should address this problem. PK Odendaal
pko@942.co.za

Change the reference to version 8. If the functionality used in the app is not available in version 8 it should error out and you will have to upgrade in order for it to work. If it does work then you should be fine.

kbuc6

Thanks for the response. Do I just load the version 8 reference or is there something else I should tell the program so it knows that it is now a version 8.
Also how does one upgrade?

PK Odendaal
pko@942.co.za

I think the only practical way to change reference version in an existing project to an earlier version would be to manually edit the .vbp file (make sure that you work on a backup), but that will still involve getting GUID info from another project's .vbp

The version of the references that you find in Project/References relates to the version of Outlook, Word, Office or whatever that you have installed on your machine.

The upgrade is to install an up-to-date version of Office

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

Thanks John

I still need help regarding the GUID - how do I do that and secondly how do I change the reference to version 8 in the program. As I understand it I first load the version 8 reference, but I cannot see how I change the code because the declare function does appaently not refer to the version.
PK Odendaal
pko@942.co.za

Open the .vbp file in Notepad and you'll see the references and their GUIDs etc.

If you open a .vbp that you've started on your (older software) machine you can get the old reference data there.

Only do this on a backup copy, and remember that if the program uses functionality not available in the old version it will crash.

Good Luck

johnwm
Tnanks for your tip - it worked changing the GUID in the project file.
Maybe you can also help me with the following - when I run the project it looks for SMTP:Send mail for VB6.0
Do you perhaps know where I can find that.

PK Odendaal
pko@942.co.za

I think it's a DLL from freevbcode.

Try this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back