Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microsoft access 2000 replication and autonumbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
what is the syntax you would use to make a form find the greatest number value in a tsble, then add 1?  I need to write this to avoid using an autonumber field, as replication wreaks havoc on my use of auto number(makes random instead of incremental)

you might want to do a search in the access(general discussion) forum, or maybe the FAQ section there. I'm sure I've seen a similar question answered there recently. But just curious, if you are using replication, why you feel it makes sense to revert to non-random numbers. the whole premise is that by doing this you increase the probability of two people with non-connected dbs using the same number for the next record. If this were not a problem in actual practice, what could be the reason for changing the whole autonumbering scheme for replicated dbs?

Well, I know it seems odd, but I am in a situation where I inherited a DB that another wrote, and somewhat short-sightedly.<br>The database is for tracking shipments of freight, and the autonumber field is our Pro#, or in-house tracking number.&nbsp;&nbsp;I need then to stay in order for organizational reasons.<br>This DB is set up so that all the forms and reports live in one file, whose tables are linked to another file that has only tables in it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am trying to replicate the latter, and post it on a web server so that I can have a web site that interacts with the data, ie updates it.&nbsp;&nbsp;The reason I want to replicate is that it seems to be the most straightforward way to synchronize the input from the web and the internal input that occurs daily.<br>I determined that my only option here was to make the autonumber field a number field and write code on the data entry form to get a new number, which will not create duplicates since the web site will ONLY update existing records, and not generate new ones...<br>As a matter of fact I was looking yesterday at the general discussion forum, but couldn't find it...if you know the syntax, i'll love you forever!

I don't have an answer for you, and unfortunately the search engine seems to be down today. I would encourage you to post in one of the Access forums though as there are more people in those forums who are familiar with these problems. I think it is DougP who has posted an autoincrement function, and he posted n the &quot;Access:General Discussion&quot; forum just a couple of days ago.

You can tell access to use sequential numbers for autonumbers in replicas.
However the whole replica thing seems fraught with problems. A customer has a replicated database that wont synchronise because 3 records are corrupted, and dont seem to be fixable. Seems like a bag or worms to me. [sig][/sig]

Petermeachem:
How? I look at autonumber field properties, and it will not let me change it to increment from random- Is there another place to set these characteristics?
Tks [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back