Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROS TABLET 720 WITH 7 INCH DISPLAY, 2GB RAM, 64GB FLAH, WINDOWS EMBEDDED 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazeeddie

Technical User
Mar 6, 2012
US
anything good for tablet cheaper than oracle............help please

I have seen on youtube a few companies saying they can hack any tablet to be used with 3700 and Simphony. No idea if they work or are dependable.
Better option i think would be watching ebay for great deals on new Oracle tablets...have seen a few on for a pretty good price.

The Oracle 720 is a DT Research DT317BT, the 721 is a DT317CR. You could maybe find a distributor to sell you the DT tablet for less. Any Windows device can theoretically work with Res but making everything work is the trick.

Pretty much any Windows tablet can be used to run Micros. I've been testing it out on a RCA Cambio (10" tablet running Windows 10, $109 at Walmart) and it's been working well. All you have to do is install the CAL software on the tablet and set the device and workstation settings in POS Configurator.

This is interesting. @ Joe C any limitations? I assume they are wifi. Are you using a local receipt printer?

Yes, they are Wifi. I haven't found any limitations in functionality vs a WS5 terminal. All POS functions, Manager Procedures, scripts and everything seem to run fine.

As for printing, for the tablet I went into User Workstations, Options and turn on "Enable Printer Destination Selection". Then for each printer, you go to Devices, Printer Definition and select "Printer Destination Selection" for each printer you want the tablet to be able to print to. When the server prints a receipt a dialog pops up with a list of available printers. That way they can select the one they are closest to in the building.

The only real limitation I've found is that servers can't use swipe cards to login so we assign them numbers. Since the testing has gone so well, we're looking at some more rugged tablets like the DLI-8800 that has stripe readers, barcode scanners and fingerprint scanners (since Micros now supports fingerprints for login).

With the DLI looks like you are starting to get close to the cost of the Micros tablets. Just curious why you would not be looking at them. We would need the mag card reader/scanner so these may be an option. Thanks for all your input.

DLI-8800 can be had used/refurbished on eBay for less than $100. Only disadvantage to them is that they are only 7" screens. That can be worked around with different screen designs, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back