Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROS RES 5 SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moregelen

Programmer
Sep 10, 2012
US
Has anyone heard anything about this? I wasn't aware that Micros was affected by anything like this that was coming up.

Wells Fargo said:
Wells Fargo Merchant Services has reviewed your account, and we believe that you have equipment and/or software which will not support the new standards from the US National Institute of Standards and Technology for terminals that use the Internet for transmitting information.
All Point of Sale (POS) systems using the Internet must move from 1024-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption to 2048-bit SSL encryption.
SSL is a protocol designed to enable applications to transmit information back and forth securely.

The new standards will be effective starting August 26, 2014. If your POS system is not updated by that time, you may not be able to connect to the Internet to process transactions. Also, if you authorize and settle directly with American Express, that process may not be supported once your equipment has been updated.

We had that in Australia at the beginning of last year but it was just a matter of changing the certificate file in CA/EDC Drivers for a new 2048-bit one that was provided to us by the bank. We are using a custom CA/EDC driver though so I don't know if there would be any difference in your situation.

The majority of our customers use the transaction vault driver with merchant link. No idea if there is even a way to change the cert (if it even uses one?).

We use Mercury and they sent us something similar about three months ago. When I called, they said that Windows XP isn't compliant and we had to upgrade. We called Micros and moved all our locations to RES 5.2 and Windows 7 and it fixed it for us...

This particular customer is already on RES 5.2 MR1A so they should be compliant; I just wasn't aware if we had to switch certificates ourselves or not. Our retail division is having to manually install new certificates at all of our customer locations.

The only certificate I'm aware of on 3700 is the optional one you can install in IIS for the default web site. I've used a couple of different CA/EDC drivers and none of them have prompted for certificates.

Our certificate is defined in Devices>>CA/EDC Drivers>>System tab>>Certificate File field. The certificate file itself is located in res\pos\bin

After doing some checking, this only applies to some direct driver. If you are using TVCA to connect to Merchant Link, you're in the clear; they use a 2048 bit cert already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back