Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros RES 3700 printing to LPT1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chef2Tech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2009
US
I am installing a Micros RES 3700 4.0 onto non-Micros equipment. The touchscreen machine that I am using has an on-board thermal printer that uses LPT1. I have everything else working perfectly expect for printing. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
A summary of the COM ports is as follows

1: DB9 serial port (RS232)
2: Keyboard Display
3: Touchscreen Keyboard
4: IDN1 (another serial port, RJ12 connection)
5: IDN2 (another serial port, RJ12 connection)

Your best option would be to use COM1 (RS232 serial) and try the standard serial DB9 to DB25 cable. Do a print test on the printer to get BAUD rate settings, then make sure you use the same settings in configurator.

I dont know of any instances where a parallel card is being used in a printer with Micros

Cheers

As I stated this is NOT a workstation 4 or an eclipse it is another type of touchscreen all in one unit they are using. So there are 3 9pin com ports, 3 usb ports a lan connection and 2 ps/2 for keyboard and mouse and a built in printer.

Hi,
You must explain your platform / OS. If it is a standard PC (guessing) AND running windows XP AND you are running RES4 then you set it up as a WORKSTATION. This means it is a 32 bit PC platform.

You need to provide more detail.

Cheers

Hi,
ok then, just set it up as a Workstation in Configurator. To download the applications etc from the server you will have to run the Win32CALclient.exe . This will download & install as it is described in the DB.

I ddont believe you will be able to run a parallel printer, serial easy, USB may be possbible.

The all in one unit is the server/workstation so running WIN32Calclient.exe is necessary. EVERYTHING is bring run from the unit. As stated I have it setup already just need help with the printing.

I have tried running a standard serial DB9 to DB25 cable from the unit to the printer and cannot get it to print as well as its not printing from the on board printer. The only thing that does print is the on board printer, prints the bottom page header of nightly auto reports.

Hi,
I see now, all running on a standalone "server". What type of printer is it? The DB9-DB25 (standard serial) is right, and is COM1 or similar?.
Whats the BAUD rate? So can you do a standard print test to the printer? test on the printer to see what its Baud settings are? Do both settings match?
Can you do a print test from the server/POS unit? If yes, then move to the software. In POSCFG in devices, is your printer type here for Printers? (Epson etc). If thermal 40 col, try Epson TM-T88 thermal and hope your printer will Emulate Epson. If an Impact printer set it to TU-220 and again hope this will emulate an Epson.
If you want to make your own connectors (and join them with a standard CAT5 or CAT6 cable) as follows:

DB 25 DB 9
White 1
Black 2 3
Red 3 2
Yellow 5 8
Blue 6 6
Orange 7 5
Green 20 4
Brown

I dont believe you can use LPT1, and can only use serial

So I guess will have to use an external printer instead of the one that's built in.

Thanks for the information I will try out and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back