Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROS integration basics 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

angiemc

Programmer
Apr 7, 2011
AE
Hi,

I've been asked to develop some software that needs to integrate with MICROS but I can't seem to find out whether there is an API that is already available or whether I would need to interrogate the MICROS database directly. I don't need to do anything too complex, basically I need the following functions

- retrieval of a bill including item breakdown
- simple modification of a bill, ie removal of an item from the bill or add a discount
- update MICROS to flag that the bill has been paid, or part paid, for example half on a credit card, half cash - or is this just a case of adding a credit to the bill in the same was as a discount above?

Does an API exist offering this functionality? If not, i sthe database structure straightforward enough to pull out this data easily and make the updates I listed above? And finally, if I had to do this directly in the database, would there be likely to be issues with MICROS support due to the fact that 3rd party software has directly modified the database?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I highly doubt Micros allows anything of the sort. Maybe if some sort of export exists you may be able to read some data but write access I highly doubt it. After all, if they allowed an api to write to the data, especially what you're asking to do, is a HUGE security risk. You want to write code to add discounts, remove items, flag as paid, ect. Seriously? Why can't they just do this through Micros? If this is totaly legit, I understand wanting to write a program to simplify some functions. But if you wrote Micros, would you allow anyone to access sensitive data?

Tom

You can access a MICROS database remotely with the right setup. The database service runs on port 2638. You can read/write data directly to the database. (Add new items/employees/maintain custom tables) The API for transactional programming is locked down pretty good and last I heard it was about 10-15k to get the documentation and key and become a partner.

Mike do you have any information about how to set up the API?

Hi,
I write directly to tables using ADO or SIM. I doubt many people will tell you how to do things with Micros as its how we make our money. There are other APIs (DLLS) and (if you are in the know) can develop without any assistance from Micros. Its a sensitive point asking people to give away our knowledge for nothing here, its how we make our living.
Sorry

DrZogg, so you have access to add discounts, remove items from checks, flag as paid, etc., as the OP asked for? And publicly announce your access? While you aren't giving any specific details, it seems you are bragging that you can.
[\quote]without any assistance from Micros.
[\qoute] Its a sensitive point asking people to give away our knowledge for nothing here, its how we make our living.
So if we pay you, you can give us the tools to possibly "steal"? Or even if you aren't stealing, it seams you are illegally accessing their data, and charging people for it. All the basis of the OP are about removing items, adding discounts, flaging as paid. Why? Duh, i don't know. And your worried about "your" knowledge being given away for free? It seems to me you illegaly sell programs to access Micros data without their knowledge and are proud of your accomplishments.

Tom

What are you integrating?

If it is a transactional intgration the API is really needed. If you are simply trying to inegrate an ETL type solution you can access data rather easily.

Thanks Tom for your view. I dont breach Micros' licences. I am a former employee and can develop in any direction I like but ALWAYS get the correct licences for clients.

I need something much simpler:
I've been tasked with building a site that interacts (two-way) with POS systems for table bookings. I'd rather not A: re-invent the wheel if you guys already have the tech (at a reasonable price), B: pay the 15k MICROS wants to use their web API.

My clients are a start-up, so there's not an abundance of cash.

Any thoughts/answers/solutions would be much appreciated.

I[they] will also need to have the same functionality with other POS systems down the line.

(site will be built in Joomla)

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have a client that uses Respak for reservations & we set up that web interface, just to assist you with your research. I have included their docs here FYI. (All interfaced also with Micros, but not using the Micros TMS system)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ucadutybmpxr1ny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back