Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros handhelds..

Status
Not open for further replies.

postech777

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
MX
Anybody use them? I was wondering how they work from a technical standpoint. Do they use 802.11b or bluetooth? Terminal services? How reliable is it? Just wondering how the other half lives.

Not sure if you are refering to m8700, m3700, m9700. My workplace was using micros 8700 handheld terminals and had to discontinued using them because the handheld devices posted too many problems during busy hours. Communication between basestation unit and handheld units were common problem. In addition, changes in weather and type of operation or hardware failures were anothers. These equipments were not reliable at all compare to the workstations (UWS3). As far as which wireless technology were Micros was using for the M8700 i'm not too sure but I will have to find out for you.

Well that's encouraging, we have been setting up our POS system using some very high end AP (Symbols 5431?) and they have very well thought out settings to try and keep other networks from interfering but at one site I found 15 other wireless networks... 15!!!. Does micros implement high gain attaneas to combat this? The HH terminals work great inside but outside... spotty at best.

If you do decide to go handheld, you have to step your wireless security level down to 40-bit encryption (yes, thats right; take a step backwards). Seem's Micros thinks that strong enough for everyone.

Besides, who needs a 128bit key when its your lifeline? ;-)

I haven't had that problem. I'm on 128bit with WPA? 9700 v3.00

3700 tells you that you must back it down to 64bit... Its in the docs, I'm not making it up!

Not doubting it on 3700. We had to upgrade the OS to the latest on the 8846 model, then it started to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back