Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros db user access (RES 5.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

regilobo

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
US
We just upgraded to RES 5.1 and some of my scripts that relied on the custom user or even support are failing due to access rights. These have worked in the past, so I would like to understand how to properly setup and use the support and custom users.

Both users (custom & support) are only part of the PUBLIC and REPORTS_GROUP groups, so I am unable to do simple things like update mi_status availability and change printer redirection via scripts.

I didn't do the upgrade myself, so I missed the bits where you need to setup the database. I don't know if this is something setup at install-time, or if it can be adjusted now?

Suggestions?

Strange, I just did my first 4.8 to 5.1 upgrade and the database permissions copied over fine.

Try adding your custom user to the DEFINITION_GROUP. Mine is part of that group and that's where it inherits most of the permissions. The PUBLIC group has almost no permissions at all, and the REPORTS_GROUP group only has Select permissions.

That's the issue...both [tt]custom[/tt] and [tt]support[/tt] are missing from [tt]DEFINITION_GROUP[/tt]. Seems like an odd omission. I guess the tech who did the upgrade must have neglected something. Now I need to figure out if I can get the DBA password or what. This upgrade was from 3.2, so I'm just not familiar with how the DB setup has changed. I know that you have some additional control over the database through DM, but I'm not clear on the details.

Should I expect to have the DBA password? I'm assuming it's not really the low-level micros dba user, but more of a super-user. Would I be correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back