Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

micros (9700 2.8) sql

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevgais

Technical User
May 20, 2005
GB
Hi Guys,

I've read the Micros 2.8 9700 supports SQL. Does anyone have experience of using it's SQL as I cannot establish any links to the my Micros database through normal SQL techniques.

cheers

So are you trying to use the 8700SQL command or an ODBC type SQL Query?

i currently use 8700sql method but would like to establish a odbc connection.

v3.00 has an end-to-end Oracle or MS-SQL database. In v2.80, you may have a thing called Net viewpoint. That has a MS-SQL DB for reporting.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 8700 and have never heard of an ODBC database driver for it and I doubt one exists. From the previous postings, it appears that 9700v3 is the way to go if this is a requirement.

From the wording of your questions it sounds like you are considering upgrading from 8700 to 9700v3. Do you mind if I ask why? (I know there are many reasons to upgrade, I'm just wondering your reasons)

Steve Sommers
Shift4 Corporation --
Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

what are the reason to upgrade to micros v3 from 2.8?

I'm assuming you mean the 9700...

Sales brochure standpoint: Better security and compliance with the latest PABP requirements and some additional enhanced features.

Micros Corporate standpoint: Due to licensing issues, Micros is not allowed to sell 9700 pre-v3.

There are 8700 and 3700 CC drivers available that add security to comply with PABP requirements without having to upgrade to the latest and greatest and these are much cheaper than the full upgrade route. There is a CC driver being developed and certified for the 9700 that will do the same -- comply without the major upgrade costs.

Do a Google search and you should be able to find info on this topic -- at least regarding security. Keywords: micros security driver upgrade

Hope this helps. Hopefully, someone else can add additional info about other added or enhanced features or 9700v3 vs. pre-v3 because my expertise with Micros is limited to payments and security...

Steve Sommers
Shift4 Corporation --
Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

The other real good reason it is v3.00 is an open MSSQL or Oracle solution, end to end. I picked MSSQL. It's windows 2k3, all the technology is refreshed. I have web reports now, a it has an "EMC" like an RMC on steroids, that's web deployed, and it was easy to upgrade.

I took advantage of the change and actually put in new "sweet" servers and added a few handhelds.

I totally recommend it. With all that said, I was able to stay with my current credit card relationship too. Sorry Shift4.

The best, best thing was ad-hoc, any day/date range reporting... So no more archiving of printed reports and no more End of day (anything).

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back