Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 Updating Multiple Site Menu Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzBeatles

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
US
Hi, we've been having issues connecting to several sites via PCAnywhere so we're needing to update the Micros Menu table at multiple sites on-site. Is there a way to export the menu-table from one site and import it into another site's server? Or are running scripts the only way to go?
We would like to be able to load the table onto disk, and just load the disk at each server and import the table.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated--thank you.

Micros 3700 v3.2 sp7 hf5

There's no clean way to just replace the mi_def table, there are too many foreign keys pointing at it.

You can dump the source tables, mi_def and mi_price_def, to text files, load them into temp tables on the next database and run sql commands to update/insert from the temp table, but it's a royal pain. Your best bet if you go this route is to unload the database structure from sybase central, find the sections that creates these 2 tables and use that to create your temp tables.

Wow, so there is no simple way to accomplish a seemingly simple task! We just want all our sites to be identical, and updated as far as the menu table and prices definitions go. We still need the sites to retain their financial identity and all other unit-specific criteria to remain the same. Just the menu items need to be changed.
I can't export the mi_def db file as Access, and delete the mi_def file from the other site's db and link up the exported mi_def file? It's more complicated than that I'm assuming?

Thanks again for any help rendered. I do appreciate it--at least in seeing if this is going to be one, long painful task--one way or another (manually or automated).

JazzBeatles, or anyone, I need to do basiclly the same thing. I have 16 locations with the Micros 3700 POS. In less than a month I have a huge price change roll out ni a single day. It takes too long to remotely dial in and retype every price in all these locations. It is a simple task, fix the prices in one server, then export the table and import it to the other servers. The servers are identical and have exact same database info. JazzBeatles... anyone figured out a simple way of doing this?

In the 90's we accomplished these similiar tasks with the Micros model 2700 by exporting the Menu file into Excel at one site, we would make our descriptor and price changes, then upload the new file into multiple sites. Each site had an identical menu item file. In fact we used this approach when we needed to change "ranges" of menu items when drink prices moved up. We could export just the range of menu items we wanted to update and import it back in. When dealing with ranges of menu items, it did not matter if the entire menu item file was identical, just the range we changed needed to be identical. We used this approach many times for creating and maintaining large bottled wine lists at sites, it was much easier to make your changes in Excel then making changes in the Micros 2700.

Like I said that was in the 90's. It would very hard to believe this would not be an option today. How to the chains make price changes in multiple locations?

Can you export and import the menu item file on the 3700?
On the 2700 it was a free software utility provided by Micros.

I never really figured out an "easy" make every site identical. But to make changes on a mass scale, you literally can sit down and write SQL scripts and use Enterprise Manager to execute the scripts at each site--but this still required me to log in remotely and do this. It was a big pain. Has anybody else figured out something better, or is this literally the best way to do this?

You can use MyMicros.net with the EM function to push out price changes to multiple stores. I think this would be ideal.

Kind of expensive to use myMicros to just update prices, I also am looking for a way to write a vb program to accomplish this. We have 7 store running Micros and now have different menu item files at each store, I am looking to pick the "best store" and use that as a template to transfer to all stores and then try to keep them all the same. I need to find out all the tables that affect menu screens, mods, menu items etc. then come up with a program to transfer this to all stores to standardize them. Then come up with a program to make menu changes and push these to stores daily weekly etc.

any one have any ideas ?

JazzBeatles - are you referring to the Micros "Enterprise Manager"? If so, its main function is to deploy (or package) changes made on a central db for active/EM licensed stores. Files can then be parked(FTP) on the store server and an autosequence could run(scheduled or with Manual EOD) the receive command to process the "packet". No sql scripts, no remote log in to facilitate changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back