Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 Setting up backup credit card transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2006
US
Hello all. Should be simple, but cannot figure it out. Been working with Micros now for about 5 months. My company bought a rest company out of bankruptcy and they have Micros. I have only worked on Positouch so I am trying to learn in a hurry up type of way.
Anyway, we are using the internet to process credit cards. All the NTWS machines have an internal modem, but none were hooked up to a phone line, I have since put the modems on a phone line and the modems will dial out. I need to know if there are settings within Micros to make it use the modem if it cannot use TCP/IP to get out to process a cc transaction. Any help would be greatly rewarded with good Karma.
Thank you, Eric

I just installed Micros 3700 in 5 locations. our backup credit cards use a us Robotics external modem to a serial port. Not sure what set-up is involved since we are a new system the came configured. hopefully someone here will have more info. I think the internal modem is just used as a backup means for Micros support staff to connect to your server.

You will need to do the following to get the modem to work on fail over.

1.Modem Setting Set Microsoft Control Panel
a.Modem Speed set to 2400
b.Date Bits = 1, Parity = Even, Stop Bits = 1
c.Disable Data Protocol and Compression if your able to.

2.Open up a command Prompt any type the following:
settle -m

***Make note of the device number of the modem you will be using***

3.Open POS Configurator
4.Open CAEDC on the Third Tab. Sorry I think it is Device Tab

5. Click on VSCA on the right side.
6. On the system tab you will see a box for device.
a. This is where you put the number from step 2.

Thats it...if the internet fails it will roll to the modem. You can do the same for VSST and it will settle the cards in the internet is down.

Thanks guys!
PosWizard, I will set it up using the settings you talk about and see how that works. I appreciate the replies.

Eric

The Micros 3700 also uses a secondary modem setup screen that you might have to configure. This is a second group of modem setting that Micros uses and doesn't always update when you change the Modem settings through windows.

Make a note of the VSCA driver # while following the steps POSWizard outlined, then turn the Credit Card Server (CCS) off and back on in the control panel (if you're using version 4 the CCS is gone; its a service now).

Open a command prompt and type in settle -c1:B. This is assuming VSCA is driver 1. It it's #2 use -c2:B, etc. This will open a modem setup screen identical to the one you get from the windows control panel, but it reflects modem setting that Micros has stored. Make sure the settings are the same as in step 1.

Turn the CCS off and back on.

I have recently purchased a Micros 3700 3 station system with type 4 stations. I have a merchant account already, and am wanting to know the truth about the 'programming' of the micros system using my merchant account - which is ready for use with Micros according to my credit card settlement provider. What programming is necessary? Is there much labor involved in imputting the MID & TID #s into the Micros Software? and does each transaction need to be settled through the Micros Credit Card Auth service? The local Micros authorized sales rep is wanting me to pay $995.00 to set up the KIT 4CAEDC w/ Bravo and a Micros / Merchant Link change of ownership. I just need to know if this is necessary since I already have my merchant account set up and ready to go.

Twisted88. These charges can range. Did you purchase the gear during a restuarant take over or online? If in a take over you own the license and the standard fee is $325.00. $200 for the change of service and $125.00 for the labor to do it. If you bought the system via online, through someone, any other way than with a business...you really don't own the license. MICROS could come at you and ask that you re-license the enitre system. Best thing to do is ask for the break down of the charges, then contact merchant link and find out their charge. This will give you the true charge the dealer is sticking to you. However, if you did aquire this system through grape vine...I advise you to tread lightly.

Hope this helps.

$995 is way too much for just a change of service, like Twisted88 said, $325 is the standard charge.

Be careful though. Micros licenses belong to the company that purchased them and are non-transferable. If you bought the company that owns the restaurant you're safe. If you bought a restaurant with a Micros system though, you didn't purchase the license and according to corporate Micros you should pay re-licensing fees on the entire system.

It seems a bit sleazy to me, but this is the way its always been; Micros is just starting to enforce it.

Pat

Thanks for all the responses. With your help I have it set up now. Thanks again.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back