Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 / RES 4.x Printer Hangs, Windows Service Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett000

Technical User
Sep 27, 2010
CA
Here's the situation: Micros client machine was setup and functioning properly. No Micros settings were changed on the server or the client in question. An end user unwittingly infected the client with a series of trojans, unbeknownst to the installed AV software. Several icons vanished mid use, eventually I was called. I rebooted the computer with an AV boot disk, did a deep clean and quarantined 10 files (all from docs/settings). I repeated with an alternate AV boot disk to be thorough, five more files were found and also quarantined.

Upon rebooting, the system (win XP) would repeatedly make it to just before the desktop/login screen "Windows is Starting". Safe mode would also make it to this stage, after hanging on MUPS.sys for a while. Booting with XP install CD's did not bring me to the repair console I wanted to see, or provide me with other 'repair' options, even after jumping through a few other hoops to try and prod winXP into letting me 'repair'.

So I removed the disk, put in a new disk and started installing windows. After installing windows I installed CAL, and a MDSHosts file from the server, and everything *seems* to be fine. However when I try and print locally to COM1, Micros says: "Please Wait... Printing" and just sits there. OPs is still active. I can right click, bring up a windows context menu, but OPs doesn't function other than that. I can also force close it.

I figure I'm missing a registry key, or a system service of some sort. Any help would be most appreciated! I can also provide more info if needed! I also have the original disk intact, or as intact as it was prior to the trojans. Also I will be making a recovery disk the second I resolve this printer issue!

Oh and I should also mention that the system prints fine to remote printers, just not its local Epson.

Read the MDSPRINTERS.xml if you are unsure, thats what the local reads for printing devices

Thanks DrZogg, I'll check it out!

I've also recently found out that the printer was behaving strangely before the crash, so I'm going to test it on another terminal, see if it's still in working order...

you are not specifying what type of printer is involved - Epson ok but some model (T6000) needs OPOS drivers installed in order to function correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back