Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700: Need Help Getting Our Back-up Modem Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2009
US
Our Micros 3700 processes credit cards through the internet on a regular basis via a cable connection. Our processing is supposed to revert to dial-up as a back-up method should our cable connection go down . . . which it has! The back-up connection is through a US Robotics 5686G modem connected to a regular AT & T phone line on a double jack with our fax machine (which we use infrequently.)

We recently replaced our old US Robotics 5686E modem with a new US Robotics 5686G as recommended by that mfr. However, the new modem is not connecting and processing as it should when we disable our internet connection and try to test the new modem. So right now we have no back-up credit card processing method and that could put us in a real pickle!

Could someone familiar with the Micros 3700 configuration help us get reconnected?

the new device may have created a new device ID

from a command prompt go to the \micros\res\pos\bin folder

run settle -m

identify the new modem

verify this device ID is set up as the auth device in POS Config-Devices-CA/EDC Drivers

I am sorry but I don't know what you mean by "from a command prompt" and "run settle -m." I opened the micros\res\pos\binfolder but saw nothing that would prompt me to "run settle -m." So sorry, I'm more of a Mac person.

I am familiar with how to get into the CA/EDC area of POS config, but what tab and field do I look at once I get in there? When I click on CA/EDC Drivers I have 3 items in my list:
1 Demo Driver
2 Visa Auth
3 Visa Settle

Can you guide me further from there? I am very appreciative of your responses!

Click start - riun
type cmd
click open

depending on which drive you have MICROS loaded on (c or d)

type c: (or d:) - press enter

then type cd micros\res\pos\bin

press enter

type settle -m

press enter

take a look at the device ID

Okay, went to START-RUN.
Typed in "cmd" and pressed OK

A black box came up that says: C:Windows\system32\cmd.exe in the blue bar across the top.
In the black box field it says:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C: \Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I typed in C: and pressed enter. It just repeated the same:
C: \Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I typed in "cd micros\res\pos\bin" and it said:
"The system cannot find the path specified."

I typed in "micros\res\pos\bin" and it said the same:
"The system cannot find the path specified."

Mike, what am I doing wrong? I can cook up a storm but I'm no computer programmer :)

ok. Tip for the lazy, in the DOS CMD prompt, start by typing:

cd %resrootdir%\bin

This will take you straight there. Then follow Mikes instructions.

Thanks much. I now have this:

Device ID Number [1]: Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem
Device ID Number [2]: U.S. Robtics 56K FAX EXT
Device ID Number [3]: RAS PPPoE Line0000
Device ID Number [4]: RAS VPN Line 0
Device ID Number [5]: WAN Miniport <L2TP>
Device ID Number [6]: LPT1T
Device ID Number [7]: IPCONF LINE
Device ID Number [8]: H323 Line

In POS Configurator CA/EDC Drivers, I have 3 choices:
1 Demo Driver
2 VisaAuth
3 Visa Settle

The tab options for each one include:
Driver (there is only one box here and probably not what we're looking for)
System (see info below)
Merchant (many box choices here; I can describe if needed)

Under the SYSTEM tab, I have eight boxes labeled as follows:
Authorization Device
Not Used
Port Arbitration Enabled
Communications Channel
Custom Mode
Enable 12-Digit Amount
Enable Card Level Results
Enable POS Data Code

I assume that in these boxes I could insert the device numbers as needed. My question now is which box would be the one the specify the BACK-UP MODEM? Remember, our primary connection for authorization and settlement is cable internet which is connected directly to the PC. (I assume this is identified as Device 1 above.) Our back-up method which I am trying to get working is the external fax modem identified as Device 2 above.

I am very thankful for you guys walking me through this!

Your US Robotics modem is device 2, so enter 2 in the Authorization Device box. You should have a settlement driver as well which will have a Settlement Device box. Set that to 2 as well.

Communications Channel should already be 2. That has nothing to do with the backup modem, a 2 there just tells the cc driver to use a high speed connection first.

You'll also have to check the modem. Click Start | Control Panel and double click the Modems icon. Select your modem and click the Properties button. On the Modem tab set the speed to 1200. Go to the Advanced tab and click Change Default Preferences. On the General tab make sure you have:
Port Speed: 1200
Data Protocol: Disabled
Compression: Disabled
Flow Control: Hardware
Click on the advanced tab and check these settings:
Data bits: 7
Parity: Even
Stop bits 1
Modulation: Standard

Select OK all the way out until the modem properties boxes are all closed.

Go back to your command prompt, type in settle -c2:B and hit Enter.
You'll get the same modem property windows pop up. Make sure all the settings are the same as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back