Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 DM.exe Access Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

_choof

MIS
Sep 18, 2019
US
There have been various Windows Updates recently for Windows 10 that have totally broken Database Manager, these updates seem to vary and I'm not entirely sure why. These updates look like they are causing issues with all versions of Micros 3700, as long as the server is running Windows 10. This has been causing significant issues at multiple locations, primarily when there's a database backup scheduled during end of night procedures. DM will start the backup process, hangs, and the autosequence ends up not finishing. The biggest issues I've seen thus far have been failed batches, and multiple days and shifts being consolidated onto one report. For the batching problems, that can just be done manually or handled automatically elsewhere (ie through a scheduled task in Windows), but for the consolidated totals, this is causing so many headaches lol. It also causes issues with the initial installation of Micros on Windows 10. I was building out a new server image last friday on a new Windows 10 install, but running updates first guaranteed that the Micros install would hang.

You can confirm that a server has downloaded and installed a bad Windows Update by opening DM.exe. There are a few errors that will be displayed, most of them are access violations referring to combase.dll or dboledb16.dll. You may also see an OLE error. In every case that I've seen so far, DM will soon stop responding with Windows, and will need to be force closed. These will generate events in the Application log in Event Viewer.

I've been able to pin down a few updates that have caused issues at a number of locations, uninstalling them resolves the issues with DM. Uninstalling these updates will require a restart of the server.
KB5028166
KB5015684
KB5028318

However, this doesn't look to be all of the updates that are causing issues. I've uninstalled these updates at some locations, and they're still experiencing issues.

Microsoft has a tool that allows you to hide specific updates, disallowing the server from downloading and installing them. I have not used it personally yet but I will be testing it out this evening at a few locations during maintenance. The tool is called wushowhide, here is a direct download link:

I've attached some screenshots of this error, it looks the same on every server I've encountered it on. If any of you have encountered this error recently and have been able to accurately determine which Windows Updates have caused it, please make note of it in this thread. With Micros 3700 now being EOL, and Oracle's penchant for being a bunch of shitheads, I sincerely doubt we'll see any fix for this any time soon, if at all.

combase_aujaz7.png
apphang_r5jtgn.png

(KB5028944) & (KB5029244) uninstall windows updates and try again

thanks, I'll add those two to the op as well. the tool that I linked seems like it only works to block device driver updates. I've found another potential way to block updates, and will be testing it out this weekend.

I can confirm that KB5031445 also causes this issue.

Considering the challenges with Windows 10, I propose exploring migration to Windows Server 2008 or 2012, known for stability and compatibility with applications like Micros RES 3700

Hello comrads. I have the same issue on Windows Server 2016 with Micros RES 3700. I stopped the windows updates since October 2023 as per Oracle support advise. PCI compliance will not like it though. Has anyone figured out a solid workaround to share without stopping Windows updates? Thanks a lot!

Workaround is to set the DM.EXE to run on compatibility mode Windows8. I applied the latest Windows Server 2016 2024-03 Cumulative Security update and it did not hang the automated maintenance end of day that runs DM.exe (so far). It hang or crash when running manually from the desktop with same reported errors but since it does not crash if ran within batch file maintenance like I earlier mentioned, it's fine so far.. until switchover to Simphony.

As additional information in case it is useful to someone. In Windows Server 2016 I set up a test lab to make the necessary modifications and find the HotFix that is causing the problem on several productive units.

Initially, it marked these HotFix installed in order of age from oldest to most recent.

KB4049065
KB4589210
KB5017396
KB5023788
KB5037016
KB5037763

First I uninstalled KB5037763 - May 14, 2024 (OS Build 14393.6981) Windows 10, version 1607, all editions Windows Server 2016, all editions

Tests were carried out with DM.exe, it did not solve the problem and when checking the HotFixes I noticed that there was now KB5029242 - August 8, 2023: (OS build 14393.6167) Windows 10, version 1607, all editions Windows Server 2016, all editions

I assume it is the version (Build) prior to KB5037763.

KB5029242 was uninstalled

I noticed that there was now Hotfix KB4048953 released November 14, 2017: (OS Build 14393.1884).

Testing with DM.exe worked correctly and was able to generate a backup without problems.

To finish, Windows Update was used and KB5037763 was reinstalled and the problem returned.

Conclusion: to solve the problem in Windows Server 2016, HF KB5029242 must be removed and any more recent Build.

The problem with this depends on the version you have of the current Build since the problem is KB5029242 and this is hidden if you have a more recent Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back