Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 Discount Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmegan

Programmer
Aug 29, 2005
US
Has anybody here had to get a count of discounts when prorated or item discounts are being used? We've always looked at the number of items discounted, but now our OPS people want to see how many times each discount was used. It's a reasonable request, just tough to find, so I figured I'd ask before reinventing the wheel.

I've tried the old way, linking dtl to dsvc_dtl, but that give a count of one for each menu item
I then tried summing distinct trans_seq's for each dsvc_seq, but that doesn't work for voided discounts or if a touch discount is used more than once in a transaction.

Any ideas? It would be great to save a little time.

The easiest way is to add your discounts to a tracking group, but I'm guessing that you probably don't have enough free tracking groups?

Nope. Plus our PR dept runs a lot of special promotions so the discounts aren't static.

Have you tried building a discount report in transaction analyzer? Subtotal on discount change? Run with end of day?
That's what we do and have it mailed out. Its simple but works.

Yes, we use the same thing. Transaction Analyzer, a custom report that is saved so you just have to edit the date.

jvenne you can set the report to run as an autosequence so you don't need to define the date.

I wish I could use transaction analyzer for it. This isn't a report that will be read, it's 20 locations exporting csv files that are imported into a master spreadsheet in the corporate office for the financial crowd to analyze.

TA gives all the item details as well as a summary line for each discount. Plus, this is an automated process that runs during the EON. Opening the report in TA and exporting isn't an option.

Hi pmegan,

i'd say you should join:

chk
trans
dtl
dsc

grouping by:

Check ID, Emp ID, Dsc ID

Counting Emp ID

Thanks nomed,

I did something similar early on. I don't need them broken down by employee, but I tried counting trans_seq by putting distinct chk_seq, trans_seq, dsvc_seq into a temp table and then counting the trans_seq. That works as long as you only ring in one discount per transaction and never void a discount. There are two things I'm running into: 1) when a discount is voided the transaction is counted as +1, not -1, and 2) if a touch item discount is used multiple time, on different items, within the same transaction they're counted as one discount. It doesn't seem like Micros keeps track of the number of times discounts are actually used, just the items that they're applied to.

Well ..

IMO it's involved also the pos configuration.

I like to use only Items Discounts and i do not use Sbtl Discounts.

1) I should run some tests
2) As the request seems to arrive from ops team , i'd consider the times the same discount is used by an employee in a single check . Even if the employee pushed the dsc many times on the same check i'd consider it used one time. You can then define the rules from *pos configurator/discounts*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back