Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 Credit Card 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky1980

Technical User
Oct 10, 2006
US
I am seeking advice...

While evaluating a new credit card processor I was again reminded about the MerchantLink gateway rip-off that Micros assures me is not happening.
Anyways, since I have not had any updates to my version 3.2 software in 4 years I have learned that I need to spend
$2595 to become PCI compliant through Micros ($995 Micros, $1600 update labor!).
So....spend $2595 to be compliant to continue to process through MerchantLink and allow them to keep skimming
their fees...yuck....

Now I am considering again divorcing credit card transactions from my Micros 3700 POS.

I am seeking wisdom from others that may have proceeded down this path before me with success.

How do you track credit vs. cash totals on daily transactions. I assume I would hit "cash" to process a credit card transaction to complete the Micros transaction when the card is processes by an external cc machine.

Is there a way to program the "Credit Card" button function to proceed to completion of order vs. "Credit Authorize" function where it waits for credit card to swipe.

Any other advise to easy my path forward would be appreciated.

If it were me... I'd get a stand alone cc terminal. This means it is unlikely you'll ever hammered for a cc breach.

If you do separate, you can create a buttons for each credit type you accept so that each cc is a separate total on your system balance. Plus you can program each cc to assume the amount over tendered is the tip. IE:Server indexes $50.00 and presses VISA (the check ttl is $40) so the Micros prompts; Is the tip $10?. Server presses YES. The Micros can then put the $10 directly into "Tips Paid" which is deducted from Total Cash to give the Net Cash total (for server banking).

A knowledgable Micros programmer could accomplish all of that in less than 20 minutes. Don't let them bill you for more than 1 hour.

Since you're currently running CC's through Micros they're all programmed into your system as tenders already and the overtender should already be set up. All the programmer has to do is unlink the CA/EDC drivers, turn off the CC options for the tenders and put a payment button for each CC on your pay screen. TobeThor is right, any micros programmer would be able to take care of this in about 20 minutes.

The only adventage in using the Micros system is to streamline business processes and to turn every POS unit into a card processing unit. The cost (transaction overhead) is high, and it is beneficial for most businesses to use an independant CC process device. Unless you are actually processing the cards through Micros, there is no PCI compliance to worry about (unless you are using hte Store & retrieve function

There is an alternative that will allow you to be compliant, get rid of Merchant Link and still process through Micros so all of your reports, etc will remain unchanged.

Check out the shift4 corporation. They offer an alternative gateway for far far less money than merchant link.

I am wondering how I would get a product activation code for the GSS delivery module in my micros 3700. I am in the same position as sky1980 I recently purchased a used machine that is working great thanks to everyone on here. however micros is telling me the same thing i need a $2500.00 upgrade and they say that will include the delivery function and make us PCI compliant. I have already found a programmer who works with merchant services companies that will back door my micros so I wont have to use the stand alone cc terminal we are currently using. I can all of the delivery configurators and different programs and function associated with deliverey they just dont have an activation code I think, or license code?

From what I remember about Res3.2 it will only run on Windows 2000. That in itself makes it non-PCI compliant. Be careful of third party claims that they can make your non-compliant system safe. Most just encrypt or intercept the CC transaction, but that's only one small part of compliancy.

thank you for the heads up. would the delivery activation be in any of the software or discs provided with the machine that they may have not possibly set up? for instance DOC cafe general release? I have cd's that have never been opened

Micros is the only place you can get a license code for any of their modules. They have the algorithms for generating those codes and keep it a very tight secret.

Be careful about back-dooring your CC's. Can your programmer guarantee that his work will fall on the right side of PCI compliancy? Will he accept at least partial responsibility for the damages if you get audited and fail? I know of 6 restaurants here in Manhattan that have closed shop because they got caught and couldn't pay the fines.

Micros won't work on your system because its out of compliancy and if they could be held partially liable if you get compromised. In their eyes you've been warned about it and they're keeping their distance.

If we continue to use the stand alone function so that were compliant would they sell me a product activation code?

At this point we have been just fine using stand alone terminals which I am ok with. Its mainly the delivery function and I dont want to get a 2500.00 upgrade to unlock a feature already programmed onto my machine I would gladly pay for it from micros and continue with stand alone cc terminals

I don't see why not. At that point you're not accepting credit cards through Micros, so there aren't any PCI responsibilities.

pmegan is right. Use a bank provided POS solution and you dont need to worry about capturing or storing card info in POS

Micros uses a key usually in a USB port or on the parallel port. Then the matching license codes have to be keyed into the license manager. Yes you can buy activations codes through your micros dealer. look around though most of the time people don't realize that they have a key laying around.

At this point micros won't touch systems that aren't PCI compliant; that's were these folks are hitting a wall. Both of them, Sky1980 & gbsub, have functioning, licensed 3700 systems. Sky1980 was looking to change processors and gbsub wants to add GSS. Their systems are both out of compliancy so Micros won't do the work/issue codes until they're upgraded to the newest version. This gets pricey since it requires at least an OS upgrade, a new server in a lot of instances, OS upgrades on the workstations if they have Eclipse terminals and even new workstations if they're still running Ultras.

I have most service packs for these, the latest for 3.2 is SP7 HF7, I often take systems to 3.2 SP7 HF6 just so they can handle the latest WS. Then the next problem is server platform, there is no parallel port now... so you have to get an expansion board and it all becomes a science experiment :) Version 5 is to be launched this November. And the platforms (NT4 & Server 2k) are no longer supported (and also no longer PCI compliant).
But there must be a fair business to be made supporting these systems

YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE MERCHANTLINK AS A PROCESSOR FOR YOUR MICROS SYSTEM. FREEDOMPAY IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back