Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microphones not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlinden14

MIS
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hello everyone...
I have Dell optiplex gx240's in several classrooms here. We are using software that uses microphones, but occasionally the microphone will not work, only the headphones. I checked the drivers, the volume settings, and all seems to be fine, and should be working. I have tried switching microphones with ones that are working and that does not solve the problem. COuld the contacts inside the mic ports go bad? It will not record anything on the windows sound recorder or in the program (Scholastic Read 180).

Thanks for you r help
T

"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw, now that's a killing machine!" - Homer Simpson

If you keep unplugging & re-plugging the mic's this could cause damage to the socket internally, so you may not be getting a proper connection.
Have you checked to make sure that the mic isn't mutted in the sound settings?

Hello,
I checked to make sure they weren't muted, still making sure the students did not change change other settings. Thanks for your help

"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw, now that's a killing machine!" - Homer Simpson

I'm assuming that you are using some version of Windows, here....

In the Volume control, did you change the options (properties) from Playback to Recording before you checked to see if the mic was muted?

....I've seen many people miss this setting....

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back