Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MicroFocus COBOL version

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobStardust

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
GB
I am using version 3.2.31 - are there any problems with running programs, compiled under this version, on WindowsNT or Windows2000?

hello there,

I believe that you cant run microfocus cobol on any versions of windows above 98. I have heard of many people with this problem, the solution: dual boot your computer to a 98 partition, or get a new computer, or install 98 over the other OS'. Other than that there is nothing you can do unless there is a patch out there somewhere. All i know is that cobol is a 16-bit app and they are not supported with those OS'

I hope that sheds some light on the situation.

Steve :)

Steve's information is not correct. 3.2.31 was a 16 bit version but I doubt that there would be problems running in on any windows version. 4.0 and above were 32 bit versions and I have had no trouble running them on windows 95, 98, 2000 and XP.

With your 3.2.31 version, if you had compiled for DOS it would need to run in a DOS window.

Unless you are calling any non-cobol routines it is generally better to build Micro Focus applications rather than link them.

Hope this helps,
Clive

Steve's information is not correct.

3.2.31 was a 16 bit version but I doubt that there would be problems running it on any windows version assuming that you had compiled for DOS.

4.0 and above were 32 bit versions and I have had no trouble running them on windows 95, 98, 2000 and XP in windows mode.

With your 3.2.31 version, if you had compiled for DOS it would need to run in a DOS window of course.

Unless you are calling any non-cobol routines it is generally better to build Micro Focus applications rather than link them.

Hope this helps,
Clive

We are running v3.4.9 applications on Windows XP with no problems at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back