Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microfocus Cobol - Runtime Error 8/37 for file - nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprocell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
US
We have several programs that are "bugging" out with silly errors that don't make sense. For example - we'll get a runtime error 8 file status 37 for a file, then restart the program (changing nothing) and it runs fine. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. There is no file corruption, and the programs haven't changed. So - this leads me to believe it's the environment. The environment is proprietary ISAM. The errors we experience are 8/37 and 8/30. The fix we've been using is to just re-start the program (on the same machine) and it always runs. However - we set these programs up to be run in batches automatically so we don't need a babysitter. We are frustrated! We've tried ISAMFCB = 6 and ISAMFCB = 8. Neither has worked consistently to solve the problem. Any ideas?

I am sure that this is easy to solve but you do not give much information. eg:

1. COBOL version
2. Operating System
3. INTs GNTs built or linked

You could probably solve the problem more easily if you could recreate the problem after compiling to INTs

Clive

Sorry -
Cobol is Microfocus Visual Cobol 3.6.
Operating system is Windows XP.
The batch file runs in a dos window.
No INTs or GNTs. Not sure what they are - we don't use them.
tks

The file the error is for is already opened I-O. I thought it might be opening too many files I-O... there are 8 in this particular program, and 6 open input. The error is never for any of the other files opened I-O, and it's the 3rd file to be opened I-O. Does this give you any more ideas?

No permission issue (like access denied) ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Are you CERTAIN that the runtime errors have
8/37
and
8/30

and not
9/37
and
9/30
???

I am (medium) familiar with Micro Focus "run-time" error messages and I have simply NEVER seen / heard of any with
8/
at the beginning.

In fact the online documentation includes (potentially relevant) information on 9/30 and 9/37, e.g.

030 File system is read-only (Recoverable)
The file system which you are using is read-only, which effectively means that it is write-protected. You have tried to change a file in some way, for example you might have tried to WRITE to a file or to DELETE information in it.

Resolution:
You should abandon your attempt to alter the file unless you can make your own personal copy of it. You should then be able to alter the contents of your copy, but not of the original source
and
037 File access denied (Fatal)
Your attempt to access a file has been denied by the operating system. You might have tried to write to a write-protected file or you could have tried to read from an output device.

Resolution:
Alter the access permission on the relevant file. Access can be read-only, if you just want to read the contents of the file without making any changes, or it can be read and write in which case you can alter its contents

These correspond (usually? always?) with the ANSI file status codes that you can check for within your own program.

Bill Klein

The errors are:
Runtime error 8 file status 37 for file FILENAME.
A 37 is "Specified OPEN mode is not supported".
This error makes no sense knowing that you can re-start the program and all works fine.

and

Runtime error 8 file status 30 for file FILENAME.
A 30 is "Permanent Error".
This usually indicates a file corruption, but if you can immediately re-start the program with no error, there is no file corruption.

?

Could this be the Micro Focus "re-gadged" mbp "Visual Cobol" product? If so, then I (personally) don't know their messsages.

Those descriptions of 30 and 37 sound like the "normal" ANSI Standard file status codes.

Bill Klein

I think JIH has it.... we rebuild the file before, delay the batch file 10 seconds, and then run the program getting the error. I bet the network just hasn't let go of the file - causing the 37. That would also explain why it happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't... If that particular day's file isn't very big, it wouldn't take long to rebuild, and the delay may be enough. XP has a nasty habbit of trying to continue a batch file before each step or command has finished - and it has caused us problems a time or two in the past. I'm changing the delay to 2 minutes and we'll see if it fixes the situation.
Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back