Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mgmt link 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2001
US
I have an 8610 chassis that was originally configured on ver 3.1 something and at the time I was told not to use the cpu's mgmt links on the rudundant 8690SF's because it was a problem w/ that ver of code. We manage the passport using the gateway address of the subnet our dept sits on (any gw works) but I would like to know at what ver can I use the mgmt link reliably. We currently are running 3.2.4.0 and I will be building a new passport this summer w/ the newest stable code available. Is anyone using the mgmt links on ver 3.2.4.0?...or at what ver is this supported on the old 8690SF cpu? Thanks

Are you referring to the management port on the front of cpu ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

We are not using it. It's only usefull when you have seperated management network/vlan.
In case you have redundant cpu's you need two connection's and the best is that you use a management virtual address. So that your management address stays the same when there is a switch-over event.

OK...Thanks. I have just cut all my switches and 8100's over to a global management vlan and this core 8600 is the last piece...so thats good info. I saw something about the virtual mgmt ip but didn't understand what it was for. I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

We had problems with the 8100 when we managed it by the vlan.
There we use the external port, crossconnected externally with a cable into the appropriate vlan.

We had quite some timeout using inband management..only with the 8100.

We are doing the same here w/ our 8100's but no problems. It looks like to get the dual cpu 8600 set up you have to boot the master into monitor mode, make your changes, save the boot cfg then copy it to the slave...but wouldn't this end up giving both cpu's the same mgmt ip address?..(this is not the virtual mgmt ip yet...just the mgmt port ip setting.)

no,
for the external ip addresses you need to configure the bootconfig file
config bootconfig net mgmt
net mgmt ip 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 cpu-slot 6
net mgmt ip 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 cpu-slot 5

you see, you can give an ip-address to each slot.

then configure
box
config sys set mgmt-virtual-ip x.x.x.x

OK...
Just looking at the 3.2.4 release notes, says in runtime-mode you may get error,
"Master IP should be in same subnet as Standby IP"
using that method. That's where I got the boot monitor mode thing.
Sounds like you didn't have a problem with this,...I'll give it a try...just dont want to reboot during production hours.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back