Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MGC/SS extra LAN connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

justM1

Vendor
Jun 9, 2008
Hi all, it is CS1000E, rls 5. Can somebody briefly guide whats CE/CT etc.. ethernet LAN connections for?? i mean on MGC there are 2 other CE/CT connections beside E/Tlan?? How can i use them.
I have a cs1000e SA, can i use these 2 connections for redundant ethernet connections?? i mean if E/Tlan gets disconnect then these 2 take cares of MGC???

Those connections are there to run the call server or signaling server connections through this card thus reducing the number of ports on the ethernet switch needed.

CE= call/signaling server elan
CT= signaling server tlan (obviously call server tlan is not used.)

As for your redundant connections for the MGC those connections are on the rear of the cabinet. Look up Dual Homing in the NTP.

Here is the problem with using the CE/CT connections. Say in your cas you only have one CallServer and you need to replace the MGC or the MGC goes bad for some reason. Well your switch has just gone down. If you had cabled the call server elan directly to the switch at least the other media gateways will stay operational.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

Thanx Pal for the info, so can i use these 2 rare ethernet connections for redundant Lan connections of first MGC??? Does these 2 ethernet connections are for first MGC only?? do i have to define these 2 rare connections somewhere in Element manager???

On the MGC you only use the T and E connections to the lan and then on the back of the cabinet you use the connections in the upper right side of the cabinet for redundant connections(Dual Homing). The CE and CT are used to run a CPPM connection through the MGC so the MCG would act like a ethernet switch port.

Yes in element manager when you build the media gateway you can turn on the dual homing ports.

Quote:- the back of the cabinet you use the connections in the upper right side of the cabinet

Are you advising this for Chassis??? or Cabinet system?

It is a 1000E so it is a chassis type cabinet.

It was my understanding that there were different flavors and Nortel keeps screwing around with them.

CS1000E = Chassis type cabinets
CS1000M Chassis = previously Option 11 Mini
CS1000M Cabinet = previously Option 11/11E/11C
CS1000M Half Group = previously Option 51/51C
CS1000M Full Group = previously Option 61/61C
CS1000M Multi Group = previously Option 81/81C

This is what I have always gone by. What ever I was talking about the 1000E cabinets.

The change in 5.0 is that the Chassis and Cabinets get an MGC card (for IP deployments), go to the large TN format, and therefore classify themselves as a Media Gateway on a CS 1000E. If it stays TDM only with an SSC card, it would remain in the small TN format, and stay as a CS 1000M Cabinet/Chassis.

No real change in the classification, you are really changing the function of the box to a Media Gateway by the addition of the MGC. SO you are not really wrong in your thinking, just the application of your thinking to the system, I think. ;-)

I agree, it takes a bit to keep up with it sometimes, but in reality, it is simplifying the structure by reducing the system types one would argue. Not me though, I am not an argumentative guy, wait yes I am, no... no I'm not!

Good point you raise though, and one we need to be aware of!

911Guru
E911 FAQs are located at:

Thanks for the info. I hope justM1 got his answer. This is why posters need to clarify which system they are working on.

Sorry if i couldn't clear about chassis and cabinet. I am installing this CS1000e in Cabinets not in chassis, so for dual homing what option do i have?? can i use a transceiver having TLAN/ELAN connection?? which connects at the Bottom of cabinet((i think it is 25 pin connector) adjacent with the connector of MGC serial cable. I got a transceiver from Nortel with this CS1000E

Yes, for a Cabinet install you should have gotten a NTDW63BA connector that has a 25 pair AMP on one side and 2 Ethernet connections marked TLAN and ELAN on the other side. This attaches to the bottom of the Cabinet on the Slot 0 connection under the MCG card.

Once that isinstalled you can follow the directions above.

911Guru
E911 FAQs are located at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back