Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metrologic Scanpal 2 Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoeyes

Technical User
Sep 19, 2002
CA
Hi all,

Anyone out there have experience programming a Metrologic ScanPal 2 Portable Data Terminal?

We're about to get a few of these at work. So far, I've found the Application generator to be pretty good, but ultimately a little limited in functionality. So I'm considering getting a copy of the BASIC dev. kit.

How hard is this little guy to program with BASIC?

Also, does anyone have any web links to premade programs or user groups for these things?

LC

----------------------------------------
Check out my irrelevant personal website:

Hi,

I use to be the Technical Manager at Metrologic and have done a lot of work with the ScanPal2.

As for the BASIC complier, as long as you have some BASIC programming knowledge you should be ok, although it does have a few bugs still have Metrologic offer little if no support on this.

Regards,

Steve K

For what it's worth, we did end up getting the BASIC programming kit to develop a physical inventory counting system. Aside from a couple quibbles, it worked out pretty well. The IDE wasn't very good, I ended up using an external text editor. And the "all variables are global" thing made it rather easy to fall into the trap of spagetti programming.

Considering the device and it's price, I'm satisfied. In fact, I've bought the rights to the inventory counting program, and I intend to try and make a few bucks selling it.

<shameless plug>
</shameless plug>

----------------------------------------
Check out my irrelevant personal website:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back