Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method is too slow...Dlookups Dcounts etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatwork

Technical User
May 16, 2005
CA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following method. It seems very slow, and I am calling it from the timer. It has to open some access window to process the function and I wouldn't think a dlookup or dcount would take so long.
Code:
Public Sub updateStatuses()
    Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption = ""

'Dim notInvoicedCount As Integer
    'notInvoicedCount = DCount("jobId", "qryNOTINVOICEDPARENT", "")
    'Dim storageLastReviewedOn As Date
    'storageLastReviewedOn = Format(DLookup("value", "tbl_CONSTANT", "constantType='Storage Reviewed Last On'"), "mm/dd/yyyy")
    Dim storageItemsCount As Integer
    storageItemsCount = DCount("job", "qryStorageCommodities", "Status='Storage'")

'If notInvoicedCount > 0 Then
    '    Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption = Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption & "Jobs/Loads Require Billing: " & notInvoicedCount
    'End If
    'If DateDiff("d", Format(storageLastReviewedOn, "yyyy/mm/dd"), Format(Now(), "yyyy/mm/dd")) >= 14 Then
    '    Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption = Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption & _
    '                                          IIf(Nz(Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption, "") = "", "", "      ") & _
    '                                          "Items In Storage: " & storageItemsCount & "      " & _
    '                                          "Storage: Last Reviewed On " & Format(storageLastReviewedOn, "mm/dd/yyyy")
    'End If
    If Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption = "" Then
        Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Visible = False
    Else
        Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Visible = True
    End If
End Sub

Is this efficient or can it be modified to be faster? thank you

DCount is always going to be slow. However, you can speed it up by using DCount("*"... Also, you can simplify/replace your if/then/else at the end. Here's a fractionally faster version of your code. For simplicity I've removed all your commented lines.
Code:
Public Sub updateStatuses()
    Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption = ""

Dim storageItemsCount As Integer
    storageItemsCount = DCount("*", "qryStorageCommodities", "Status='Storage'")

Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Visible = (Me.lbl_StorageLastReviewedOn.Caption <> "")
End Sub

Hi mp9,
thanks for the post, tried the code, not sure if it made it a lot faster, but I've changed my code. Thanks for the help

Could it be that the slowdown is in the query 'qryStorageCommodities" and not the code?

Just a thought.

Have you considered creating a recordset using your criteria and have storageItemsCount = RecordCount.

Mike

Hello sfatz, mgmslate, and all others,
Thank you for your posts.
Not sure if the slowdown was the query itself or not, but I decided against the automatic updating of the label, would've been nice but it could hold up a user while processing data so I decided against it.

mgmslate,
I'm not exactly sure what u might mean by recordset. If you mean create a query that returns a record count based on the query itself, then yes I tried that, but it didn't seem to make a difference. My queries, as sfatz stated, might be too complicated to populate the items within a reasonable time I guess. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back