Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method for Reviewing MIMS Security Profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyMCC

MIS
Apr 19, 1999
US
We are looking for an improved way to allow our business owners to review the way access is set within MIMS with how programs are tied to the global profiles. Currently we use a spreadsheet to help make the task somewhat easier, however with as many programs as there are and the complexity of the setups, our users are not comfortable with the current process we are using for review. What would help would be putting the information into a database that would contain a more detailed description of the program for starters. Does anyone have a good process worked out to allow non-technical users to figure out what's what?

We also do the 'spreadsheet' thing. I would be more than willing to work with you on a better approach (if you have one in mind..)<br>
<br>
Glen

What I think would be helpful would be to add a much better description of the program to the spreadsheet (or maybe keep this in a database) so that you could better take a look at what the program does if you are not familiar with it. I'm going to check with our South American affiliates to see what they may have worked out. It is just really hard to review that you have things set *right*.

Cindy, We are attempting to do the same thing here at INCO. I have asked our mimsvu coord. to produce a spreadsheet or mimsvu query that will do exactly what you are asking for. I have spoken to G. Madsen and gotten some leads. We now have one draft that produces "almost" what we want, but not quite. Have forwared your "thread" to Linda Webber, our resident genius in these matters. Perhaps you can talk to her directly, her Email is lwebber@inco.com

Thanks! I did send an email to Linda a day or two ago and am anxious to hear back from her. This is sure something we'd like to improve.

Cindy, I understand that Hawaian Electric administers all of their security through a spreadsheet (both downloads and uploads). They may be able to help you. Also AddOns Inc. has developed a program to automatically update the 'PW' table file. If your not familiar with this table file, it describes each position (250) of the security profile and tells what programs use each position and what there value is. You can use the long form on MSO020 to review individuals security or global security profiles and see what they have access to. The reason clients don't use the 'PW' table file is because it is time consuming to maintain and can easily get out of sync with what the security profiles really are. This program can be run at any time so that it is always current.

Hey Cindy. We talked about this on our ride to the airport in Atlanta. I'd appreciate it if you kept me informed of anything you find out. Cleveland-Cliffs is also using the spreadsheet which works for me but doesn't help anyone else much. Sandi Prusi

Cindy - An adhoc sort of query tool like MimsVu, and similar tools, can be set up for users to produce security data by position, program, or user. It can display for a user only those programs with matching or higher security, for a program, all positions or people with access, etc. I wrote this for a couple different applications, and I'm sure it could be done with MimsVu too.

We really already have a method for reviewing who has access to what with the profiles that works fine. The problem is a better definitiion of what each program is and does. Especially with so many programs, having a new system with some functions not yet in use, etc. it is difficult to be sure you really have things set properly. If anyone has electronic documentation of a more detailed inventory of the MIMS programs with a fuller descrition of what each does - it would be helpful.

Cindy,<br><br>There is a software catalogue list supplied with the Info Packs for each release. This list includes a list of program numbers and a description of what the program does. <br>The file is called software_catalogue and it is under the architecture\reports directory.<br><br>This list could be merged with your spreadsheet to provide a list of numbers, names and profiles. I hope this helps with your query.<br><br>If you need a copy of the Info Pack which was sent to your site, please contact me direct, on the email address below.<br><br>Regards,<br> <p>Greg Davies<br><a href=mailto:gregd@mincom.com>gregd@mincom.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Vice President MIMS Customer Support<br>
Mincom, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Hi,
We have developed 2 RDLs in 4.1: first will list, given a program, all users that can access it; the second will list, given an employee id/sign-on/or position id, all programs that can be accessed. The descriptions of the programs are from MSF081 request parameters. As a technical reference tool we also use the Mincom Software Catalogue but not programmatically.

Everyone,
So far, in version 4.3.1.2, I don't think we can list down all the profiles to users by using a specific programs. I tried to find the shortcut for it but it seems that only CorVu can provide the solutions. What I did was, I printed out all the necessary profiles in spreadsheet and give them to the users. Also, I plan to create a specific menu (MSO025) based on each Global Profile that I've created, so the users can only view the programs that they are allowed to use. Then, the moment they launch MIMS and log in, they can only see the list of programs that available for them.

We have developed a solution in delphi that does most of the things you ppl are talking about plus other. Basically we extract information about global profiles (with their access to each program)nonassigned global profiles, the minimum level you need to use a program (sorry for my english it is getting rusty )last time the program was modified, last time the user logged into the system, programs a especific user can use and the other way, this program who can use it (in global profiles and user terms)plus a lot more...there are about 19 reports for these. It is not that difficult, you may contact me if you want to know more... hope to be useful for you ppl.

GIC, we are interested of what you have in your end. We do have a tool in monitoring but it doesn't give much. Can we ask for your assistance.

I'm working at a site running 4.3.1.2 on UNIX with ORACLE and would appreciate any information in relation to making life easier managing the MSQ applications. We're in the middle of a major implementation with the design (security) in a constant state of change.

We've tried spreadsheets, attempted getting it all into an access database - there must be an easier way. Does anyone have a working solution they're willing to share?

Thanks in advance
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back