Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metal stud annoyances 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidson55

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
US
Hello,

I am planning an installation for a small, urban, multi-tenant luxury residential rental building that is currently undergoing a complete gut renovation, and I need some ideas for the routing of the horizontal cabling.

Unlike an office setting, there will be no drop ceilings or other possible overhead pathways, so everything needs to go in the metal-stud framing of the walls. One requirement, however, is that 10 years from now when these wires become obsolete, they can be replaced without destroying every wall in the apartment. In my experience, once the sheetrock goes on, there is little you can change. I suppose that might seem acceptable in dwellings of cheaper construction, but in apartments of mahogany moldings, marble bathrooms and inlaid floor patterns, the cost of preparing for the future is chump change in comparison to the cost of tearing things apart 10 years from now to accommodate some new wiring standard.

It seems that this problem could be easily solved with some sort of metal horizontal wiring channel, at faceplate-height, structurally integrated with the metal-stud framing. In this way, the faceplates themselves could double as access doors for pulling cable in the future. Even better would be such a product with a metal divider allowing for the placement of low and high voltage jacks in the same faceplate. I have not been able to source any such products, though, and surface raceway is understandably unacceptable to the developer.

I've looked at that “WireTracks” product that goes behind the baseboard, but I need far more capacity, and something far more solid than plastic to attach the baseboard to. (this is large, intricate mahogany baseboard that really cannot be moved once installed/varnished.

I've also considered the possibility of using electrical pipe conduit, but that would be sub-optimal, inflexible, and difficult to work with for a number of reasons.

Aesthetic requirements always seem to interfere with technological progress. I imagine this is a common problem, however, and I would appreciate any insight the people of this forum might have. I am not a professional in this area, but I keep getting asked to plan this kind of work, and I have been continually frustrated by the lack of future-proof wiring products. I guess it's a small percentage of dwellings in America that don't have basements, attics and wood framing. If I can't find a product that solves this problem, the contractor and I will improvise our own, probably by building cable duct with plywood and 1x2s.

Thanks! - Aaron

Isn't that flexible blue conduit they sell at all hardware stores used for zig zagging through the metal studs?

Thanks jkelley10,

I have looked at that product and unfortunately the people making the aesthetic decisions have something else in mind. (custom shelacked mahogany). They also don't want any outlets in the baseboard itself.

As for union contractors, thankfully we don't have any.

I deeply appreciate all of the response to my question. For now I have decided that we will be using a combination of EMT and greenfield. I was hoping for something a little simpler, but this isn't too bad. EMT will be used for the longer, straighter runs, and greenfield for the individual faceplates and some major bends. I also just discovered yesterday that we have some *huge* rolls of 1" greenfield that nobody will be needing. (had been removed during demolition)

most likely union contractors would have a clue as too what they were doing and wouldnt be posting questions on this site..just my opinion

youcandoit,
I'll have to disagree with your comment regarding union contractors. While I would agree that most union contractors have a clue as to what they're doing in regards to electrical wiring, not as many have a clue in regard to structured cabling systems. Our industry is specialized and it hasn't been until recently that IBEW contractors have started specific apprentice training for our field. I can take you to a number of sites that we've cleaned up after being originally installed by union or non-union electrical contractors. Affiliation with a particular group (union or non) does not make for instant qualification to complete a particular project.

I'dd could do the whole thing with smurf tube and
have done whole houses with it in the past because
the client wanted to pull in fiber later!!

I was an IBEW local 24 3rd year apprentice 12 yrs ago and they were talking of adding fiber/data training as a 6th yr of schooling. I switched to this field than. But if you find a skilled union contractor that can prove experience in "our" field. they'd do it ust fine. Union electricians/engineers would certianly be able to design and build you a custom conduit (emt,greenfield,walkerduct etc) each home-runned, future proofed for voice and data, built to code. it's just gonna cost you. But dont get me wrong I'm not for union's or anything. butthat's a topic for another thread......

Believe me, I have no love for the IBEW. It was actually one of my guys that was "told" about the elevator shaft. We are a few miles north of you in more civilized Westchester and rarely venture into "your land".

What I'm recommending here is that you give the electrical contractor ONLY the job of installing the conduit and boxes per your specifications to provide suitable wire fill and minimum bending at the jacks (this means BIG DEEP boxes or preferably no boxes at all). They will have the benders and experence to do it without Greenfield which can make pulls difficult if the length is excessive.

To everybody that recommended smurf tubing or other non-metallic tubing: I am reasonably certain that the NYC code prohibits the use of any type of PVC or plastic.

After they are out and the finish is done you come in and pull the cables (which should be an easy job) and install all jacks and terminations.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back