Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe xp3 fr3 does not unload exe and winlogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

opssup

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2003
GB
Does anyone know of a patch for this for XP not the Presentation server. Users log off but both the application exe and winlogon exe seem to continue for up to 20 minutes and hogging the processor? Anyone seen anything similar? This is sitting on Windows 2000 Sp4 not yet applied rollup 1 as there seem to be issues with this and citrix. This is on a live production machine and is becoming critical for us to solve due to SLAs.

Thanks for any advice.

It might be profiles not unloading. See if you can find UPHClean itw a service that does this job brilliantly. Have you just started getting this ?

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Hey thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately this has already been installed but it doesn't seem to step in, well not according to event viewer. I am trying to use process explorer to see what is left open. It has been getting increasingly worse but only when users log out, the whole system start to lock down as these run away processes hog the machine.

What is the O/s and what is the app ?

Cheers
Scott

Windows 2000 TS sp4 the app is our own, we are a software house. This problem does not occur when used directly away from Citrix (native mode)

What about RDP connections ?

Cheers
Scott

If you connect using RDP do you experience the same issues?

Ie using MSTSC to connec to the app.

Cheers
Scott

Sorry I don't know about that, or how we could use it! BUt we are pretty sure it's only ICA that is causing the problem. I have just looked up something about applications not unloading ssonsvr.exe with MF XP FR3 do you know anything about this?

As far as the users are concerned they have logged out but the exe just runs on. They can then reconnect and start another session.

Try this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI]
"DllName"="seamls20.dll"
"NotifyEvent"="WfshellTwiNotify"
"LogoffCheckSysModules"="ssonsvr.exe"

The "logoffchecksysmodules" is what you are needing to add. I noticed that on our server, ssonsvr would not close and that was causing our hangup with the app.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for your reply. I have come across this fix on another site. I'll give it a go and get back to you. I appreciate your help.

I tried this registry entry. I am affraid we still have the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas, this is causing our customer major headaches.

Well try RDP and then you can rule something out.

Cheers
Scott

I realize you have not applied the Microsoft Rollup, but we did have a similar situation after we did install the Microsoft Rollup to our Metaframe XP on Win2k servers. When a user would logout, Winlogon would max out the cpu.

In our case, we made a registry change noted on the Citrix site (the note has since been removed as it is part of the Citrix hotfix, but you can find a reference here :

Workaround
Citrix recommends the following:
1. Open Regedt32
2. Navigate to the following location:
HKLM\Software\Citrix\Ctxhook\AppInit_Dlls\Smart Card Hook
3. Rename the "FilePathName" key from "scardhook.dll" to "scardhook.dll.old"
4. Reboot the server

Please Note - If you require smartcard functionality in your environment the temporary workaround is to uninstall the Microsoft Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB article ID 891861).
I have no idea if this will help since you havent installed the Microsoft rollup, but its easy to test and reverse if it makes no difference.

Good luck !

Disregard my prior post - I saw the winlogon note and jumped to conclusions, but in reading the thread more closely, the situation appears to be different.
Sorry :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back