Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe for Win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coops

Technical User
Apr 19, 2000
GB
We are using Windows 2000 SP1 + Metaframe 1.8 SP2. The server is crashing usually at least 2/3 times per week with the following error left in the event viewer

"Application popup: termsrv.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77fca776" referenced memory at "0xffffffff". The memory could not be "read".

We have a scheduled reboot every night and have re-applied service packs.

Without citrix is it running fine..? First U install win2000 and test for one or two days. If it will not get crash install citrix and see. if u are getting the same problem with winn2000 server without installing citrix also, may be that is hardware problem.
Which server(brand) u are using..? If possible change RAM and install.

Do you get a BSOD? What are the top 2 lines? What are the last 10 drivers listed (if any).

It is most likely that this is a driver problem.

The second possibility is an application issue.

Or, as koti says, it could be bad RAM.

More information needed, please!

:BSOD details
:Server details (make, model, amount of RAM, HD)
:Application details - any apps apart from Microsoft Office
Do you have other similar servers that work OK?
Has this server always done this, or has this issue started since you installed a piece of software?

I hope this helps

There were no bsod just a message box with the above error meassage in it. After this error occurs the server stops accepting connections. It is a Compaq ML530 with 1GB of Ram and 18GB disk space.

Do you have other similar servers that work OK?

Has this server always done this, or has this issue started since you installed a piece of software?

Do the users have Internet access?

Did you check the RAM?

If all else fails, a rebuild could be necessary

I hope this helps

Check the event logs in detail and try to determine if an event occurs with any sort of pattern prior to your problems. Is it time of day or application or load related?

Ideally you would have another server with identical hardware to test with (but this is not an ideal world :) huh?!)

I would also suspect the printer drivers as these are notorious for doin' wierd stuff totally unrelated to anything else. If you have already tried the versions that ship with Win2k then make sure you try the latest versions of each, otherwise its trial-and-error time.

Is your swap file handling day-to-day memory correctly and is it on a separate partition to prevent fragmentation?

Do you have any "older" apps - anything more than 2 years old would be suspect at best.

Hope these help.

OMG this exact same error happened to me the following day...spooky! I have a pair of identical IBM4500R machines with 3 x 18.3Gb SCSI in a hardware array and 1Gb of RAM on dual 866MHz processors - only one of the servers (the more heavily loaded one) exhibits this problem...the install has Win2K-SP1 and WinFrame1.8-SP2...I will go hunting for post-SP2 fixes :-(...anyone seen this?...I'll stick with my original diagnostic and believe a printer driver is first on the list coz I found an "admin" had loaded a DeskJet driver...definitely suspect...boss is stressing now...

I have four DELL servers with 4GB RAM, 1 with 8 processors 3 with 4 - and all four intermittently get this problem. It does seem to be related to heavy-application load sometimes, but not application specific and sometimes when there is nobody on the box but me. :(

Win2000 SP1, Citrix Metafram 1.8 with SP2.
It's eerie yet somewhat relieving to see that others are having this problem.

Yeah, I can definitely say that with the help of CitrixEngineers printer faq and a lot of heartache I ofund that printer drivers were at fault.

By using a combination of abstinence (avoid DeskJets) and trial-and-error (LaserJets) I found a combination that keeps the servers and the users running, though neither is 100%, they are both running!

Good luck, the road is a long one and only you will know what a difference hard work can make...a user will never say thank you for fixing a bug like this one unfortunately...at least, not in my experience.

Actually that printer FAQ was developed by myself. I encountered a few situations in my time where print drivers with the cause of annomalies that occured on Citrix box's. I had one incident where a TSE/MF1.8 server would blue screen a few times a day. With no event log entries being recorded, It became difficult isolating the issue. However one day, coincedentally, I was troubleshooting a client's connection issue, tried to print, and poof... Lost connection to Citrix Server. And so began my tribulations of printing on Citrix. Glad to know that the printer FAQ is of use.

Regards,

Ruster

Happy to be corrected on that one...I must say, there is little or no useful documentation out in the big wide world re:printing in the Citrix environment and your document is the best there is, thanks.

Back on subject now, coops, start checking those printer drivers!

Again, I got the same problem.
We are using Dell HW, win2k sp1 and MF 1.8 SP2.
Both of our citrix servers crashes several times a week
with a termsrv.exe err msg on the console.
Does anybody know if there is a Win2k citrix compatible printer driver-list ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back