Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe And Surfcontrol / Web Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
We currently are using Terminal Services (Win 2000), no Metaframe. We also use Surfcontrol for filtering/denying access to Web Sites. Unfortunately, Surfcontrol does not work well with Terminal Services when you are trying to filter by User Name b/c it gets confused - it can't differntiate b/w users on the Terminal Server. Does anyone know anything about this, and wether or not Metaframe would help in any way?. (Even if you don't know the answer specifically as it relates to Surfcontrol, perhaps you know of a technical differnce that may make a difference.)

Thanks in advance.

I saw your posting yesterday and thought someone might have responded by now but since no one has, I will make a suggestion. There is a new version of an old product called SysTrack 3.1 (from Lakeside Software). SysTrack 3.1 does many things but specifically to address your question regarding the web and terminal servers this is what it offers: monitor and track websites and web pages visited by user id, tracks number of times visited, first/last time visited, the system they visited from, and average # of sites/pages visited per day. You can also configure the software to proactively monitor web activity and have an alarm trigger when a visit to an unauthorized site is attempted. This alarm can send out notifications (e-mail, page, pop-up, etc.) and take actions if necessary - even to the point of shutting down the violator's browser.

Their website has not been updated yet to reflect this new version so if you would like more information, please let me know.

Good luck!
kapski@yahoo.com

Metaframe will not make a difference. I experienced the same problem at a company I was working for. We just had to limit access to the internet for terminal servers. If someone needed more access, we would have to put them on a pc.

When you say "We just had to limit access to the internet for terminal servers.", are you saying that you had to limit access to Terminal Servers with or without Citrix b/c Web Filtering software in general will not work correctly on such a server, or are you differentiating between a Terminal Server with Citrix to one without it?

And Mike, I believe our Surfcontrol software does many if not all of the things that you say SysTrack does. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Also, do you know for a fact that SysTrack will work correctly on TS/Citrix (specifically in regards to filtering based on user names)?

Yes webuser; absolutely! Works on terminal servers (with or without Citrix), desktops and disconnected remote laptops. I don't know much about "Surfcontrol" software so I will take your word on that.

We had a rule that was very limited and applied to everyone. We had another rule above that rule that gave unlimited access to specific users. So they terminal servers (with citrix metaframe) fell into the very limited rule. Yes, it doesn't matter if you have citrix or not you still have the same problem with surf control. It only sees that one machine that's trying to get to the web.

There website states that the msproxy version will work with Terminal server or Citrix basing the rules on usernames. But we had that version and the usernames would never work. I could only allow someone acces based on ip address or computername. Maybe we did something wrong.

This is quite a problem; I also require Internet access control for Terminal servers. So far I have found a number of programs that will control access, but they all do it through IP address and not by user. With the Terminal server being the IP address the program is looking at and controlling, there is no way to make it work on individuals.

But if there is something out there I would love to try it.

I have been talking to Sufcontrol and they assure me now that ther product will work with Terminal server.

They also have a free 30 day test. I will be trying this out and will report my findings.

From my very cursory view of Surfcontrol it appears that it overlaps SysTrack in the area of web monitoring; only. If you are looking for something to monitor/manage your Citrix/Terminal servers; then SysTrack would be a better fit. If you are looking for something to monitor traffic patterns on the network; then Surfcontrol would be a better fit. Clearly the two products add significant management capabilities and could easily co-exist in the same environment. I am downloading a copy of Surfcontrol to test along side of SysTrack.

mcputer,

Did SurfControl specify that their Win2000 product will work with Terminal Services or were they talking about their Proxy/ISA product?

Thanks.

Surfcontrol say that their product will work on Terminal server, with a plug in to work with either a proxy server or an ISA server.

Still waiting for better details.

I took a look at the Systrack site; their product appears to be for reporting and not blocking or controling individuals access to the Internet.

I have used Systrack in the past.

hated it!!! Was not even supported on windows 2000.

Called their tech support, was like a mom and pop shop.

You could only monitor sites visited. No filtering or anything. Each computer had their own log. There was no central database to view all web traffic at once or anything. I had to create a seperate log for each computer on a network share, change the default log location to point to the share. Pain in the ass and didn't always work.

I think you will need some hardware based appliance to filter websites.

Matt

Matt, sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with SysTrack. Maybe you used an earlier version of the product or a beta version that wasn't fully developed. The reason I say this is because SysTrack 3.1 does all of the things you state it does not. It is almost like we are talking about two different products. Can I suggest that you contact my rep, carrie@lakesidesoftware.com as she can help you with all of thses issues. FWIW

In order for Surfcontrol to be able to identify Citrix or TS users you will either need to be running the ISA or proxy intrgration of Surfcontol(which we have just put in here, in a mostly citrix enviroment).

I have been using the IPrism for a number of years now, and it works just fine with terminal services and active directory. Give it a go and see what you think.

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back