Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MetaFrame 1.8 Over the web 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoceguera

MIS
Aug 7, 2000
US
Can some one explain to me a step by step procedure on what do i need to do to access my ,metaframe server over the web...with a browser...

i've done it already trough the ICA client....

next step... the browser..

i would greatly appreciate it..

thanks..

For that you need an NFuse course, my friend!

Alternatively, the latest book by Todd W Mathers:

is absolutely superb, and covers NFuse and Windows 2000/MetaFrame issues better than any other I have read.

In brief, though:

1. Install Citrix NFuse software on a Metaframe server.

2. Configure it so that it points to an NT proxy server, or Apache firewall server, or similar. The simplest way is to share the proxy's port (typically 80), although this offers little security.

3. Open port 1494 for incoming ICA traffic.

4. Access your published applications via the web browser.

That is about as step-by-step as I can get, without knowing anything about your setup. Generally, the setup really is this straightforward.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

If all you want is a desktop, NFuse (as cool as it is) is not required. Given that you have the ICA Web client installed in your browser, you can simply access your MetaFrame server by IP address. Of course, if you are using a firewall (and you should be), you will need to set up a one-to-one NAT and access it via the external address. As CitrixEngineer states, you'll need TCP Port 1494 open for ICA traffic, and perhaps UDP Port 1604 for ICA Browsing.

All you will get this way is a desktop. If you want access to published apps, use NFuse (see above).

Merry Christmas to all! :)

If you have a Server farm or one server you can publish an application create an ICA file using the wizard in the Published Application Manager. Put the ica files on your web server with the html page that references them, make sure it knows the MIME type, IIS already does, others will have to be configured. Make sure the client web browser has the plug in (available from Citrix) and when the user clicks on the link it launches a Citrix session. This is all documented in detail in Citrix's knowledge base and has worked since the Winframe product. We use it extensively and have not yet upgraded to NFuse.

NFuse may be better but definitely not neccessary to access published applications using just a browser. All you need is the web plug in for your browser.

Search the Citrix web site, they have some type of document which tells you what you need to put in your web page.

Currently accessing metaframe 1.8 over the Web with DSL, Cable modem and ordinary dialup. In order to retain security, use 128 bit encryption both on the client and server. access the server farm by only the IP address. Use a desktop or Nfuse, it works well either way, but, use the encryption and NAT in a firewall.

I have done this without the need of Nfuse. I created a Intranet web page from which ALL my published apps can be launched over the internet. All you need to do is have an additional external IP which through your Firewall gets forwarded to your internal page. If you like, please visit Every app you see requires NT authentication and all are running on Citrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back