Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe 1.8 and NFuse still useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytehd

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US
Is this product still useful?
Windows 2003 server does the same thing.
We dont need load balancing.

The client intitially bought Citrix to "Get printing right"
Thats the one thing that never works right.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

If they only have Metaframe 1.8 and have no subscriuption advantage then they will have to buy it again probably.

I would say that if you haven't got printing working you were not talking to the right guys/guyesses then.

Windows 2003 has nowhere near the functionality etc of the new Citrix Product group.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Windows 2003 has nowhere near the functionality etc of the new Citrix Product group"

As in?

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Published applications, speed screen for WANs, Accelarator for IE Macromedia and Flash. USB connections to PDA's Printing that works. I could go on but I suggest you go and look at the Citrix Web site for yourself.

Cheers
Scott

I will check the marketing stuff.
I still dont see the benefit to straight RDP on 2003.
Every 2003 box with xp on the client works flawlessly
for both printing and drive mapping.
Sound, Hi color too.

We dont need a farm, a cluster, nor a web front end.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

In that case you are better off with RDP, unless you want published apps. These save having two desktops running at the same time.

Cheers
Scott

I can setup published apps in TS by doing RUN AT stuff.
Still dont see the value.......
Ill be doing some stuff with GPOs and TS on 2003.
Still dont see the value.......

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

George, RDP is a less efficient protocol than ICA. We have seen that result on our enterprise where we split a server out of the farm for benchmarking using RDP. The users began to complain immediately about poor refresh rates.

If you feel that the current rdp functionality fully meets your requirements, then there is no need to discuss this at all.

The setup you will need for rdp is also mandatory as a base for citrix, so you will not not loose anything, if at some time in the future you would need Citrix for a specific set of fucntionality.

Stefan

Seemless Windows.

I am wondering as to your reasons for posting here, you are very negative and seem to have your mind set.

Cheers
Scott

Which has just reminded me... where have you been lurking xs4citrix ?

Cheers
Scott

Right I've had enough of your baiting, youre point is????

Now lets see 500 of the top 500 companies have bought into the technology, and remember I am a very small cog in this only trying to help those that have bought in so just exactly what is your problem, if you don't have one well then be happy, you must be alone in your world.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back