Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metadevice state database replicas limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

samworld

MIS
Nov 2, 2003
MY
Hi.

I already install Solaris 9 in one of my server. It work fine. I start to create the filesystem using SMC (Sun Management Tools). In my system i create some system running with RAID5 and RAID1 (mirror)

The problem come when i adding more than 50 slices into the state database replicas. It give the error the maximun limit only 50. I still need to add more in order to complete the filesystem creation.Can anyone help??

Sincere
Sam

Hi..

Actually i also not so sure. This is what i perform to create a mirror (RAID1)

1) At SMC,goto storage --> Disks . Right click on the disk c0t0d0 and create 2 partition. Same goes for dis c0t1d0.

2)Run this command "metadb -a -f c0t0d0s1 c0t0d0s2 c0t1d0s1 c0t1d0s2"

3)- metainit d1 1 1 c0t0d0s1 / metainit d2 1 1 c0t1d0s1
- metainit d3 -m d1
- metainit d3 d2

So i just start adding more partion into the metadb..So i hit this problem. there must be some configuration error, but where.. Please help

Sincere
Sam

Hi Sam. As a general rule it's not considered good practice to use slice 2 of the disk (this is essentally the 'whole' disk. I tend to use slice 7 for metadbs, and as far as I know they don't need to be very large slices at all (I seem to recall daFranz recommending 40 Mb for Solaris 9 at some stage, before that they were much smaller, 10 Mb or so). I think you need to reconsider your strategy here, using other slices for your mirrors and a sensible (5 or 7 say) number of metadb replicas, bearing in mind that the system will fail if less than half of the metadbs are available to it. Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for the advise, actually i need to create around 30 filesystem in my serve cause i'm running 3 SAP instances. Due to the insufficient disk (24 physical hard disk), i need to partition each disk so i can have more filesystem create. May be my approach is wrong can you please advise? actually i have this Sun Storedge Volume Manager 2.6. CAn i install it onto Solaris 9, and can this volume manager support 64bit.? Please help.

Thanks

Sincere
Sam

Your approach is correct as far as I can see and it is very common (indeed regular) practice to slice up disks to achieve the required number of filesystems. This approach also enables you to place different parts of applications on different disks and controllers - very often this helps speed up processing as two or more processes are not trying to access the same resource at the same time.

I've never used Sun Volume Manager, but a guide is at:

if that's any good to you.

>> 2)Run this command "metadb -a -f c0t0d0s1 c0t0d0s2 c0t1d0s1 c0t1d0s2"

You just need 3 metadbs (replicates), as Ken says, s2 is bad practise, I recommend to do it like Ken point's out use s7 and have at least so 30-40 MB

How many disks do you have? On how many controllers? I recommend to put the metadbs over all controllers but not on every disk, this will slow down SVM very much (and there is the limit of max 50)

run something like this:
Code:
# metadb -a -f -c 3 c0t0d0s7
# metadb -a -c 3 c1t0d0s7
# metadb -a -c 3 c2t0d0s7

If you create many filesystems I recommend to use different numbering:

d1 as a mirror of d101 and d102
d13 containing d1301 and d1302

if you need more metadevices than standard edit this and run a "reboot -- -r":
Code:
# cd /kernel/drv
# more md*conf
#
#pragma ident   "@(#)md.conf    2.1     00/07/07 SMI"
#
# Copyright (c) 1992-1999 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
name="md" parent="pseudo" nmd=[b]1024[/b] md_nsets=4;

SVM, formerly known as DiskSuite, is 64bit save

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi Guys..

Finally i get all the filesystem up and running as per guide.. Thank you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back