Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meta Tags - Keywords 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyW

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Hi,

For the Meta Tags keyword action I heard you can only have around 15 words. Is this true?

Thanks,
Jenny

You can have as many as you want, it is advisable to limit it though.

The search engines can exclude your site if they think you are "spamming" your keyword or description tags.

Thry to keep it limited to only the best keywords, this way you get the exact traffic you are looking for. » » » » » »
Mike Barone
FREE and Pro CGI/Perl Scripts

FREE Scripts

You can have as many as you want, but I wouldn't put more then 20. And some advice, use phrases. Like if you're site is about red apples, you would want to put your keywords something like this:

"red apples, food, fruit, healthy, etc."

I could get really techincal and explain why this works better then just putting "red, apples", but think about it. If it doesn't click, e-mail me and I'll explain it.

Hope this helped. ~Steve

A broken clock is correct twice per day.

A roomful of monkeys on typwriters will eventually write the great american novel.

If you gave an infinate number of rednecks, an infinate number of shotguns to shoot at an infinate number of street signs, they'd eventually recreate all of Shakespears works in braile.

Yes, and meta keywords are one of the "big mysteries" -- so if you have the inside track... let's hear it.

The easiest way to put it is that if people are going to search for a page with red apples, they would type in "red apples". I know I would. I would go to hotbot and type in red+apples, or red apples and search for exact phrase.

Is the search engine doesn't ranks results via meta tags, like google, this won't help you anyway.

The average person uses more then 1 keyword when they are searching for something, usually a phrase, like our "red apples". And if you're using a purely meta based search engine, like hotbot (my favorite as you can tell), you're page would be listed higher if you had "red apples" instead of "red, apples".

Hope this makes sense. Most of this information I leared and a meta/search engine seminar. ~Steve

A roomful of monkeys on typwriters will eventually write the great american novel.

If you gave an infinate number of rednecks, an infinate number of shotguns to shoot at an infinate number of street signs, they'd eventually recreate all of Shakespears works in braile.

Some good places to read up on Meta Tags and which engines use them in ranking include:

A good piece of advice I once saw in the Jim's world searchengineforums about keywords:

Once, Twice, Thrice

Once in the page title, twice in the description meta tag, and thrice in the
keywords meta tag.

Don't put word repetitions right next to each other either - use them in
phrases, and keep three words in between the repetitions.

Very good advice. ~Steve

Wow, responses gallore!
Thanks everyone!

iwannabewebmistress, you wrote...

Don't put word repetitions right next to each other either -use them in phrases, and keep three words in between the repetitions.

Can you explain the bolded portion? Or give an example?

Thanks,
Jenny

That's a quote (sorry, I probably should have indicated such) from a forum at Jim's searchengineforums that I saved.

Some bots don't see the commas, so if you have keywords or keyword phrases that are repeated too closely it could get flagged as spam.

Let's see, an example...

search engine optimization,meta tags,search engines,optimizing meta tags,

I actually disregard this rule alot, but then maybe that's why some of my pages don't rank so well ;-).

HTH,

Hi peoples!

Thanks iwannabewebmistress. I appreciate the response.

Jenny

Hi all,

I'm currently working on FREEWARE <HEAD> tag generator.
I'm still looking for more <META> tags since I feel that
These are an important part of the <HEAD> tag.

I've currrently got these <META> tags:

<META NAME=&quot;KEYWORDS&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;AUTHOR&quot; LANG=&quot;&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;DESCRIPTION&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;COPYRIGHT&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;ROBOTS&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;EXPIRES&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;CONTENT-SCRIPT-TYPE&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;CONTENT-STYLE-TYPE&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;REVISIT-AFTER&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;REFRESH&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;GENERATOR&quot; CONTENT=&quot;&quot;>

I was wondering if you are aware of any other usefull
<META> tags for my program??? If you know some, please tell
me about it and explain how it works so I can make an even
better program. I will post a notification hint here when I release it.

Thanx allot,

Bobba_Fet Everybody has a right to my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back