Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meta Server Console AutoLogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooddsw

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2003
US
Recently installed Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro onto my XPa server farm. After painfully dealing with the roaming profiles I found a technote that documents that there must be an administrative logon session running on the server console in order for the PDFMaker to function for the user. I've tested this and it works fine as long as the admin is logged onto the server.

Here's the rub.

We reboot our Metaframe XPa server farm several times a week to maintain performance. Obviously after the reboot the console is no longer logged on. I tried using the ALO.EXE program to perform the autologon but in a Citrix environment it attempts to execute (albeit unsuccessfully) each time a user opens a Metaframe desktop session (due to the RUN registry entry). It didn't appear to get in the way on a published application however.
( FYI: ALO.EXE can be found here with a number of other utilities )

Given security concerns about having the console logged on with the admin account I was able to immediately lock it down after logging in using the following statement in a batch file stored in the Administrator Startup folder.

rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

I tested the creation of a scheduled task that executed WinLogon at system startup on my desktop but it didn't seem to fire. Once I physically logged into my system the lock workstation fired immediately so I know that part will work.

So this begs the question:

Does anyone know how to perform an autologon of the Metaframe server console that will not impact individual users as they logon?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to roll this out but need to resolve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back