Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meta keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christylh8

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me why my keywords don't seem to be working? We have a traffic meter that indicates words in the page titles are working, but never our meta keywords.

Perhaps it's some simple missing character or oversight in the HTML?

Thanks!

Christy

I'm not 100% certain but I think you've got WAY to many keywords. I read somewhere that you should keep your keyword list to less than 75 and that some search engines will ingore the entire keyword list if it's too big. Don't know if that's true.

Meta tag keywords are used by search engines as one of the many ways to rank your site in their databases. I don't see how a traffic meter could ever tell you if your keywords are working or not. The best gauge is to look at your placement in the various search engines. Keep in mind that it may take weeks, or even months, to show up in a given search engine so you'll have to be patient.

There's always a better way...

Wullie,

Well, only words in my title tag are showing up in our tracked search engine queries.

I will pare my keywords down today to 75, as I don't want to abuse the procedure and get shunned by search engines.

I thought it was alright to use as many keywords as you wanted as long as they were relevant and listed in order of importance. We noted our most successful online competition used twice as much as we are even now.

Thanks!

Christy

What web sites are you tracking? Most websites will take the words from elsewhere, NOT from your Meta tags as Wullie pointed out.

The Meta tags are important to use, as I learned here, but more import is relevant content, so don't place over-emphasis on the Meta tags.

- É -

First of all - Don't leave out the meta - keyword and description tags. Most engine spiders still have some obscure use for them and might not list you even though they do not use them for searching.

The most important for search engines is the URL and the title of your pages. Ensure that the exact phrase appearing in your title also appears in the text body of your page.

Couple of ideas: SE spiders do not like: script, image links, images, etc.
Hope this helps

vilaishima,

First of all - Don't leave out the meta - keyword and description tags. Most engine spiders still have some obscure use for them and might not list you even though they do not use them for searching.

The major engines do not use meta keywords tags, and do not penalise you in any way for not using them.

The most important for search engines is the URL and the title of your pages. Ensure that the exact phrase appearing in your title also appears in the text body of your page.

This is simply wrong. The most important part for a search engine is relative content. Without that your excellent URL and title are pointless.

Couple of ideas: SE spiders do not like: script, image links, images, etc.

It's not that a SE doesn't like these things, they simply will not read them, so any content in them is useless from a SE point of view.

There is a forum here on TT for this type of post, I thought I had mentioned it in my previous post, guess not. forum828

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back