Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

messenger not working in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

junket

Programmer
May 5, 2001
AU
I have Messenger working in my administrators profile, but in all other profiles, clicking on the shortcut or the app file produce no results.

I gave another user administrative abilities, but still they cannot get Messenger up and running.

I'm guessing it has something to do with group policies, because If I choose to run messenger from within a profile that doesnt work, and I select -"run as.." from the right click menu, it loads. Anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks

What are the user permissions for MSMSGS.exe?

I've seen exactly the same Messenger problem in XP mentioned here by junket. Clicking the shortcut or app when logged in as another user (even if they have admin rights) besides administrator produces no results. Has anyone found any solution?

I also had this occur. I think I deleted the profile, then re-added as an Admin account...it worked. I don't remember if it worked after changing the account type to user however.

As linney suggested, you need to check the permissions. Find the executable, right-click and choose Properties. Then select the Security tab. Check the Users/Groups that have access to it and what their priviliges are.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

I would suggest you run gpedit.msc and go to user configurations, administrative templates, windows components, windows messenger. Double click on Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run and then you can configure from there. I suggest if it already says Not Configured you would assume it would run but maybe you can switch it to Disabled and it should run then. You can also check your choice of running automatically on start up.
I hope this helps.

-Diggz [party]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back