Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messed up DCPromo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHuckfield

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
ZA
I have an issue with an AD DC that crashed last week, and the recovery from it has been somewhat messy.
We replaced the server with a new one, and because the server crashed, we obviously had no chance to run DCPROMO.
I went to the MS site and read up about this. Used NTDSUtil to remove the server from the site. Worked 100%. Then went to ADSI Edit and removed the DC from there...
I have run the DCPROMO on the new server and things have gone haywire. The server seems to have completed the PROMO but, I get the following error when I check event viewer:

"The account-identifier allocator failed to initialize properly. The record data contains the NT error code that caused the failure. Windows 2000 will retry the initialization until it succeeds; until that time, account creation will be denied on this Domain Controller."

I have tried to run DCPROMO on the box using the domain admin ID and it keeps giving me "Access Denied" errors when it start the process...

anyone ever seen this kind of thing?

Thanks for the post karmic, I managed to figure out why it was giving the access denied errors and resolved that, now, when running a DCPROMO is connects to another DC, starts transfers FSMO roles (dunno why because this server does not have any of the FSMO roles), tries to demote and then gives the error: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

If I check in Users and Computers on the DC it's connecting to, I see that the server is in the Domain Controllers OU, but it's role is not Domain Controller, it's Workstation or Server. On the server, it is a DC...
The only thing that I can think to do is rebuild the server and remove all traces of that server's previous presence with NTDSUTIL and ADSI Edit.

anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back