Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messaging "Dies"? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdbriggs

Vendor
Mar 20, 2008
Partner Messaging "Dies".... The Auto Attendants goes away, doesn't answer, but this isn't the only mystery.

Sometimes the AA answers, but when you attempt to dial in an extension, it appears to route the call and then your left listening to hold music.

On the first one a "hard reset" (turning the system off then back on) brings it back fine.

The second just appeared and it fixed itself.

System properly installed and worked fine for months, then this gremlin crawled in and pops up every few weeks.

Suggestions?

check in the cabinet if there is another card before the Messaging that goes down and takes the messaging along so it won't answer, call the vm ports when the AA is not answering to see if you get ring no answer, check that there are only the vm ports assigned in #505 group 7 not anything else that could screw it up, even though it sounds unlikely because then you would get that intermittently RNA to voicemail.

check your selector codes for the second problem (day AND night) make sure that only one auto attendant is answering and that there are not more setup with the same greeting.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Checked all Selector Codes and deleted for both day and night menu and then reset them. Is working now...

If it completely dies again, I'm going over to check it physically and see if card in front of it is dead.

I inherited this system when I added cable for this customer. I would have said no but they are a growing real estate management firm and I'm the only "approved" low voltage vendor for work in their buildings so I'm totally involved in kissing up to them.

Thanks for the help.

no problem, if they have an old 206 card then it is likely that it is a card acting up because they are getting of age and we have some dying basically every week and thanks a lot for the star

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

Might the voicemail's hard drive be on the way out?

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

If this is a Partner ACS 3.0 or newer with a PCMCIA modem, and if you have the remote software, you can connect and access the system alarm messages from the Partner. This may reveal some system conditions as to what may be going on with the equipment. This is the only way to read some system alarms on the Partner, other than station 10 (which is limited and doesn't show history).

....JIM....

The fact that is intermittent and you don't notice any other issues seems to eliminate any programming problems and if you were having cards dying other people's phones would most likely be going out AND the fact that you can reboot it and correct it for a while leads me to believe there are internal system failures. You can tell if have the modem because the PCMCIA card will say backup, restore, and remote access versus just backup and restore. I believe (and I could be wrong- wouldn't be the first time) that the remote admin software is on the Avaya web site; if not, it is restricted to the business partner website and you may need to find an Avaya BP to help you troubleshoot this way...but probably worth it...If you end up going the software route, follow the steps in the guide exactly - you need to create a hunt group for the modem and a password - both are easy but necessary - the guide walks you through it well.

Anyone can download the Partner Remote Administration R4.0 software from their website. It's free. It has been very helpful and useful for me, flaky modems aside.

....JIM....

take the R7 instead it is downward compatible

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

Did not realize Avaya had updated the Remote Access software to 7.0.x for the Partner...

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back