Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messages with attachments causing synchronisation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebadge

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
We are currently experiencing a number of issues with atachments on our exchange 5.5 server.

We have recently had to rebuild the server, as the priv.edb would report a JET error during a defrag. An online restore was not possible as Backup Exec was reporting that the database was corrupt. An offline restore was performed along with ISINTEG and the server was working ok.
As we were unable to guarantee the consistency of the databases, we decided to rebuild the server. To resolve this we configured a completely new server within the site and moved all the mailboxes across, replicated the public folders and removed the old server from the site.

Since then the server has been running fine and we are able to defrag the databases fine, and all reports show that the database is consistent.

The Problem we have is that, any message with an attachment older than a couple months, takes about 30sec to open. We also receive a message saying that "Outlook is retriveing information from the Microsoft Exchange Server" This can then take up to 2min to complete. Once the message has been opened, there is no longer a time delay opening.

The main issue is when using offline folders. When creating an offline folders for the first time, Outlook fails to synchronise, all folders reporting errors in the folder. When you open the folder it is messages with attachments that cause the problem. If you then open the email attachments, the system will sychronise the folder ok.

I have also tried to export the mailboxes to a .PST file, to see if I can repair them, but the export fails due to the same problem.

At present the only way I can resolve the synchronisation and export issue is by going into the users mailbox and opening every single email that has an attachment. This is on average 3000 messages per user. This takes nearly a whole day to go into a single mailbox and open every message with an attachment due to the time it takes to open the message.

Is there any other way to scan and repair the contents of the mailboxes, as isinteg and eseutil find no errors with the database.

Are there any errors reported in Event Viewer on the server?

None. I have checked all events logs on both the server and local workstation and there are nothing to suggest a problem.

The only notification I get is through the synchronisation log in deleted items. Also when trying to export, it fails with "cannot locate object",

Service pack 4 along with SP6a high encryption for NT4. A windows update has also been performed on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back