Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

messages stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonk

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
Our backup server normally sends email to our department when a backup is successful. This stopped one month ago. The messages listed when I run this /usr/bin/mailq are either (Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours)
or (Deferred: The connection is refused by primary.ourdomain.k12.ky). Any suggestions for a remedy. Our state is in the process of changing IP addresses, adjusting servers and routers...in case that tells you something.
Thanks!

Hi,

seems normal that you get refused connections in a period of changing ip addresses on your site. Have you tried to change your dns or your /etc/hosts on your mailservers?
In case that tells you something...

Tilli

We have provided the IP addresses of our primary server (where sendmail IS working) and our backup server(where it is NOT working) to our network administrator. He has access to our district's mail server and to the state dept of education's server. Our mail system works via the state's. He said that the IPs were included in both locations.

Backup server sendmail continues to not work. Do you know any AIX commands that could be entered on our backup server to lead us to a solution to this problem?

I do not know AIX very well, but try:

nslookup -querytype=mx yahoo.com

If that fails, you have either problems to connect to your dns server or dns is not working (post output in that case). Normally you should get some lines whith some like these somewhere:

mx2.mail.yahoo.com internet address = 64.157.4.84
mx2.mail.yahoo.com internet address = 64.157.4.82
mx4.mail.yahoo.com internet address = 216.136.129.17

Try to connect to one of those machines via telnet/posrt 25:

telnet 64.157.4.84 25
Trying 64.157.4.84...
Connected to 64.157.4.84.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 YSmtp mta584.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP service ready
quit
221 mta584.mail.yahoo.com
Connection closed by foreign host.

If that does not work, you cannot start outbound smtp connections to that server. Post the output.

If it works, you should also be able to send messages with sendmail. Try this first and post again.

Regards, Tilli

(Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.)

Our server succeeded on all the test that you suggested. It just fails when I try to use sendmail.

Thanks for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back