Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messages received, but body of message missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

soloxiv

MIS
Apr 14, 2001
US
Help!

Scenario:
Windows NT 4.0 single domain (SP6a)
MS Exchange 5.5 Enterprise version (SP4 for Exch)Single organization, single site, single server.
Outlook versions: Outlook 2000 and XP(2002)

Problem:
Intermittant problem, but high profile...

Messages from certain high profile company execs are received but the body of the message is either completely missing or partially missing...very frustrating!

Since none of these senders or recipients are from outside of this domain/exchange server there is no header to help with delivery troubleshooting.

Common thread: Senders of the affected messages have large Outlook profiles (these guys hoard alot of mail)

I have tried formatting changes...no luck!

I am stuck please help!!

Thanks,
Marcus Solorio

If you access the affected users mailbox from another machine (assuming that the mail is being delivered to the Exchange mailbox rather than to a personal folder) do you see the same problem with the missing text? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

We have been able to try this technique...

Apparently, we ARE able to view the message in its entirety from another machine.

We are still perplexed as this occurs over various users laptops with no clear cut pattern.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Marcus

Have you tried re-creating the profile on that user's machine. Could well be corrupt.

We may well have to go down that path...

I was hoping for some nice little tip that would make my day!

Oh Well...thanks,
Marcus

I am not certain about the corrupt profile suggestion but I could very well be wrong. So I would at least give it a shot but just not the high profile's outlook profile.

Since we have determined that issue is not from the senders end since the messages are intact (cause they are viewable from another machine) then it stands to mind that it is on the receivers end but strictly related to the machine.

My first thought is to try replacing the frmcache.dat but that is real an "iffy" suggestion. Honestly I am scratching my head on this one. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

The profile thing is certainly the one thing that comes to mind, since I have had to do this on a previous occassion. Are you opening the entire mailbox on a different machine, or just that message? I ask since if it is only that message, and you cannot view the whole mailbox on another machine, then it may well NOT be the profile.

One thing I have worked around before where something similar has happened (but not quite exactly the same)

Do a Restore Defaults in the Advanced properties of Internet Explorer. These programs (thanks to the genius of Microsoft are inter-dependant) and this particular adjustment has helped me on several occassions. You may want to monitor the registry to note any changes in case it works.

Hope this helps

I've seen this type of problem before more then once. I have a few questions for you. You said that when opening the e-mail on another computer it works. Is the other computer that is working on the same Exchange server? Also what e-mail editors are you using on the machines that aren't working and the ones that are? -Does that help ya?

I've seen this type of problem before more then once. I have a few questions for you. You said that when opening the e-mail on another computer it works. Is the other computer that is working on the same Exchange server? Also what e-mail editors are you using on the machines that aren't working and the ones that are? -Does that help ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back