Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

messages in inbox disappearing when hitting send and recieve 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocker40

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2004
US
I have just got my exchange going. We use to have the users set up as POP accounts. I reset my my account to a exchange account and copied the folders over to my mailbox account and everything seems to be fine there. Under my account I set it recieve to the mailbox acount. when I email myself or somebody sends me one it shows up in my exhchange box and I can view it on the web or in my outlook. When I hit send or recieve from the exchange mailbox via the WEB or OUTLOOK, though the message is sent to the personal folder INBOX and disappears from my exchange mailbox. I hope I explained this right.
Is there a setting I am missing somewhere either on the exchange server or my OUTLOOK?
Thank you
Dave

There is a setting in Outlook when setting up a POP3 account to "Leave a Copy of Messages on the Server". Make sure this is checked, otherwise it will pull the messages off of the server and make them "disappear".

I guess maybe I didn't explain this properly. I took out my pop3 account and the only account I have is my exchange account.But when I check it the message shows up in my exchange account INBOX for a second then it sends it to my INBOX folder that is under my old account almost like it is automaticly saving it there and it is no longer in the exchnge INBOX.Some how it knows that other INBOX folder is there even though I deleted that account.
here is a small graph.

mailbox . Username
sent items
inbox
deleted items

SECOND catagorie

Personal folders

sent items
inbox
deleted items

It fist shows the message inthe top INBOX and then will pull the message out of the top INBOX and drop it in the one under personal folders even though that account does not exist.
help anyone?
Thanks
dave

Even though that account doesn't exist, in the properties for outlook have you got it set to deliver new mail to personal folders instead of your exchange account. Although you may have deleted the pop account, the personal folder will still exist.

ONe more thing when I set up my account on my laptop I chose to set up a (exchange acccount)
should I have IMAP set up on my server and be using this instead?

to darren97
No I set it to (mailbox-username)
This is getting very interesting because I can view all other folders in OUTLOOK and on the web and evrything is good. But just the inbox is doing this.
Thanks
Dave

darren97...
you meant in the properties of the exchange account? is that correct?that is where I changed it at.

If all else fails, delete the profile and recreate it. Just make sure that the mail is set to deliver to the MAilbox and not the personal folder (Tools, Email Accounts,View Or change Email Accounts, next). I hope this helps.

Well sometimes it is the simple things:) That is what I did I deleted the account and recreated it and bingo everything worked.
Thank you so much for your help people.
once again this site has proven itself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back