Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Waiting Light 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonetec226

Technical User
Oct 28, 2011
CA
Hi,
We are having problems with our message waiting light on our 81C Release 5. We have some phones where the message waiting light flashes when there is no message and others that do not flash when they have a message. In both situations phones have the proper setting (LPA) to have the light flash when there is a message. All the phones with this problem have only the warning tone (WTA) instead of LPA. We did an INI on the call pilot but we still have the same problem. This ongoing problem is present on several loops and in different bldgs. Some think it might be a Bldg grounding issue. Any or all help with this would greatly appreciated.

so your saying that all the problems are related to analog extensions

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

WTA does not relate to message waiting, it relates to whether or not the line can be interrupted by Call Waiting or Busy Verify. All phones have WTA by default.

The opposite of LPA is LPD. If a TN has MWA, and LPD, you get stutter dial tone instead of a light.

The "test" to determine if this has anything to do with the lamp is to set CLS LPD and listen for the stutter dial tone as the message indication.

You cannot INI Call Pilot. Windows does not INI.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

PERRYPJ,
Yes all the problems so far are related to Analog extensions. The two types are M8009 and M9316 CW.

GHTROUT,

Sorry for the wrong terms, just going on what another tech had said to me. We had changed the CLS from LPA to LPD and MWA and we do get the stutter or broken dial tone. As for the Call Pilot it was rebooted or turned off and then back on. The same problem still exists.

Is this a new problem? Do these analog extensions appear on multi line phones also? Do you have MW line cards in the slots for the ones that don't work?

KCFLHRC,

IT IS NEW AS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS OR SO. BEFORE MY TIME, I STARTED HERE IN OCT 11. CHECKED THE TNS AND SOME HAVE MW LINE CARDS AND SOME HAVE ANALOG LINE CARDS. WHEN I CHECKED I WAS HOPEFUL THAT WAS THE PROBLEM BUT THE MORE I CHECKED THE MORE I SAW BOTH.

Well you will need Message Waiting line cards to light the lamps.

KCFLHRC,

With that being said about Message waiting cards, why does some work and other doesn't on the same card.

That's a good question. If it were me I would put a MIK and MCK key on a digital phone and see if you can light the lamp that way. The MIK key will activate the message light and the MCK key will cancel the light. That will rule out your hardware if that all works. If that works then you obviously have another issue like the voice mail system. Here's how the keys work.

To activate, press MIK key, input extension you want to light the light on and then press the MIK key again, that will turn on the light.

To deactivate, press the MCK key, input the extension you want to cancel the light on and then press the MCK key again, this will turn the light off.

Does this switch have a CLASS Modem card installed to allow for Caller ID to work on analog sets? It will cause havoc on MWI for analogs.

telebub,

Don't think so, We had just purchased some class licenses and when we went to install them it created Havoc.

KCFLHRC,

I did what you had suggested and it worked on some and not on others. Not sure what to do right now.

Phonetec

If the MIK key doesn't light the light then you more than likely have a hardware issue. As long as you have LPA and MWA in CLS. I would put a meter on the TN when you are sure the MW light should be lit and see if you are getting MW voltage. I believe it should be around 90 volts DC and it should pulse off and on just like the flash of the MW indicator on the analog phone. If you see the voltage pulsing then you have a phone issue. You should also be able to hear this pulsing with a butt set in monitor mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back