Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Waiting lamps will not turn off. Where should I look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPTech

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
I have a client that is continously complaining about message waiting lamps that will not turn off. The user does not have any messages in their mailbox yet the light remains on. I have traced the problem to the Meridian PBX but I do not know where to look. Please Help!!

Login to the MeridianMail and access to the view/modify local voice user screen. Key 'F10' to 'Find' all mail box user and key in extension no. on the message waiting indication DN. then key 'F8' List. The list of Extension no. will display on the screen.

This is a common problem when using ACD phones. If this is the case then try this:

Key 0 is the only key the Meridian system recognizes as the PRIME DN. So if an ext. does not have its primary DN on key 0 and the same DN is mapped to another phone the Meridian Mail does not know which phone to turn the MWL on or off.

Solution:
Remove the secondary DN from all phones except the phone to which the DN belongs. In Meridian Mail change the MWL DN number to the secondary DN.

Thanks for the help,

The Meridain is integrated with Cisco's Unity unified messaging system. I have had this problem in the past and traced it to the call log.
I can watch the integration monitor on the voicemail and verify that the voicemail system is turning off the light. The issue is with only two users. Is there a code that can be dialed to cancel the lamp from a phone?

Mstewart

You can add a button to manually turn off the message lamp

Key xx mck

Key xx mik (this will turn on a message lamp)

If you are using meridian mail, log into the TOOLS and choose the MWI option. What this does is it resynchronizes the meridian mail to turn off lamps on mailboxes that have no new messages and turns the lamp on to those mailboxes that have new messages. At times the system "forgets" what condition the lamps on because data was not properly passed over the AML or ESDI.

When I program a MCK key on a telephone for the purpose of turning off the message waiting lamps on exts should I hear dialtone? Mike Stewart
Special Order Systems
E-mail mstewart@team-sos.com

MCK - no tone. Leave handset in cradle, push mck key, dial ext number to turn lamp off, press mck key again.

I actually put a MCK key on my phone yesterday, and a MIK key. (Turns on the lamp)

I had deleted a mailbox and changed an extension while the light was on, easiest way to turn off the light rather than wait for the MWIaudit to run.

Now everytime I have a call come in, The MCK flashes in sequence with my PDN. Anyone else run across this?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back