Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Waiting Lamp not working after downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystallake68

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2011
US
We have an IP office 3.2 with voice mail pro.

Our VCM card failed and we had to purchase one from a local avaya support company that came on site and replaced the card. The tech advised we upgrade the system to the newest build and did so then, two hours after he left the system stopped working. Evidently the tech upgraded past the allowable version and a different more experienced tech had to come onsite the next morning to re-flash the unit and perform the downgrade.

Since this fiasco the message waiting lamps do not work reliably on any phones. Before they worked without complaints.
Now, a user can leave a message but the lamp does not light up, if that user calls voiceamil and hits 2 the new message is present, when the user hits 0 to listed to the message the lamp lights up. After the user deletes the message with *d and hangs up the lamp is still lit, when the user disconnects the phone and it reboots the message lamp goes out. Ext 203 is a 4610SW and these results are reproducable, the users onsite with 5410's report the same problem.

Another post here used the monitor and filter to help diagnose so I filtered as well with a Clear All, then checked the Call tabs MonIVR, Targetting and Extension Send as well as Sytem tab Print

I was hoping someone might be willing to look at the attached log file and try and spot the error. I recorded leaving a voicemail to ext203, calling voicemail from ext203, listening to the message and then deleting it.

TXT Log file available here:

Did the VM pro get upgraded at the same time as the main unit? If so, was it downgraded to the proper version after the main unit was downgraded?

You need to get the people back in who caused the issue, they shouldn't leave until it's fixed again, simple as that :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

YEs, it appears to be the same version now as it was before the upgrade, 3.2284

so what did the so called tech take the version up to?

I would have thought that if the switch was taken all the way up to say 6.1 (with no stepped upgrade) and then all the way back down to 3.2, the switch really wouldnt be a happy monster.

just take the whole lot up to 5.0 along with vm pro and I suspect that might sort your issue.

ACSS - SME

The tech did take it up to 5.0 but he took the DCP module up to 7.0 which was not supported on the hardware version we had.

As is somtimes the case the problem appears to have sorted itself out, unfortunatly I dont know why it stopped working so I'll probably be in the same boat again if it begins malfuntioning once more.

Thanks for all your replies...

Modules always show 2 versions higher.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

crystallake68, it would seem the original tech who you badmouthed did know what he was doing, it was the tech after that didn't. As Peter said modules always show as 2 versions above their true version, so modules on 7.0.x are in fact running 5.0.x (he may have just forgot to step them through 3.2.999) the second tech should have known this :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Have you tried creating a new user with VM and see if light comes on when you leave message?

I am guessing the config is corupted and you may need to earase and rebuild from scrtach.

i have run into this issue after upgrades were done (never downgraded before). I have resolved it by unplugging the phones having the issue from the phone wall and leaving them unplugged until i reboot the IPO. Once you reboot the IPO, plug the phones back in and the light should accurately either show that you have messages or that you dont.

If that does not work, log into the PC holding the VM Server, and move (or delete)any voice mails and TXT files in the mailbox belonging to the user having the issue. restart the voicemail server or the voicemail pro service (i have no luck restarting services, so i choose to bounce the box). Once you have done this, try leaving the user a message and the light should work.

Beets? Yes! Ask me how I feel about Beets! I like Beets!

I agree with deleting the voicemail messages.

Other question : did the phones got new firmware en did they after the downgrade?

Well, I must say this is a very frustrating problem. The service company will not return my phone calls and the unreliable/intermittent message lamp problem persists; I agree that this should be fixed by the original vendor but they havent even decided how to bill us for the whole fiasco; I feel like a hot potato. I've reached out to another vendor and hope they can fix this.

This is the best ip office group I know of and I would think almost everything could be diagnosed with a verbose sysmon log but; I cant find an explanation of the sysmon lines that I suspect reflect the problem. If anyone would care to take a look below is the line I suspect which appears everytime the light stays on with no actual new messages waiting:

1014571717mS IVR Event: Voicemail message update for [Dial zero]:- New=255,Read=0,Saved=0

Name and shame them :-D

ACSS - SME
APSS - SME
APDS - Unified Communications
ACS - IP Telephony
ACA - IP Telephony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back